LegacyGT.com

Transmission hunting.

I think I know what you mean.  The hesitation you describe is caused by fake or simulated shift zones in the CVT meant to create a geared transmission experience.  It is most noticeable under conditions of light acceleration.  If you drive the car hard and the turbo spools up it is not noticeable but under light acceleration the transmission does not quite know what to do.  

I would much prefer a linear CVT experience but apparently the engineers at Subaru decided to go with the simulated gear concept.  

I was at the dealer a few years after the new CVT equipped WRX came out, and I had heard our cars did the neat CVT thing at that time.  Pin it and it stays at peak RPM and the car just scoots, but too many people complained about it apparently and wanted shifts.

Curious if anyone with a 15/16 CVT WRX can confirm that or not.  Sometimes my 3.6 feels weird, but I think that's the fact the torque converter stays locked in like 90% of situations.

Edited by silverton

On 3/30/2024 at 7:29 AM, silverton said:

I was at the dealer a few years after the new CVT equipped WRX came out, and I had heard our cars did the neat CVT thing at that time.  Pin it and it stays at peak RPM and the car just scoots, but too many people complained about it apparently and wanted shifts.

Curious if anyone with a 15/16 CVT WRX can confirm that or not.  Sometimes my 3.6 feels weird, but I think that's the fact the torque converter stays locked in like 90% of situations.

Not to harp on anyone.

But why in the hell would someone buy a WRX with a CVT?

Yes I have seen them and yes I have seen the owners.  So it makes sense based on the type of owner I see driving them.  They tend to floor them as you said.  However that being said I see alot of replacement CVTs on these cars as well.  in my opinion a WRX should be manual only.

I agree with the 3.6 statement.  If I want to floor my 3.6 sometimes and I am at lights the car just acts weird.  Its bogged down.  But as soon as I get onto the highway again thing wakes up and has power when I need it and want it.

CVTs are just weird sometimes.  But at least the Subaru CVT is not as bad as others I have driven.  Honda seems to be one of the worst unless you floor it.  And I am a huge Honda fan(Daily is a 8th Gen civic with 220,000 on it)

11 minutes ago, MoleMan said:

I hate driving a manual in traffic, actually hate driving a manual period but especially in traffic, and that seems to be 90%-100% of my driving. I may be an outlier but Eye Sight does most of the driving and I'm fine with that, helps make it feel like I didn't spend an hour in bumper to bumper.

I agree with loving the Eye Sight and ACC. I enjoy the fact that the 3.6R's CVT is smooth. I have not noticed any shifting that is noticeable. We don't drive it hard, but the car gets more highway miles the on city streets.

We'll be picking up a 24' XT later in April. Keeping the 18' also. On the test drive, the XT felt great. 

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

1 hour ago, silverton said:

I hate driving a manual in traffic, actually hate driving a manual period but especially in traffic, and that seems to be 90%-100% of my driving. I may be an outlier but Eye Sight does most of the driving and I'm fine with that, helps make it feel like I didn't spend an hour in bumper to bumper.

I cannot agree with you more.

Traffic in my area consists of 80 MPH freeway speeds and maybe some occasional 18 wheeler that is slow to pass another. Love wide open country!  Love the ACC and eyesight.  When I do go to the next major city 150 miles away(population rate is 1.5 million)I could never do a manual.  My wifes S4 is manual and I hate driving that thing even in light traffic.  Awesome car  but with a previous back injury it makes things 10 times worse.

But Subaru saw a market.  I just with they would have put a non CVT in that car.  

6 hours ago, MoleMan said:

Not to harp on anyone.

Yes I have seen them and yes I have seen the owners.  So it makes sense based on the type of owner I see driving them.  They tend to floor them as you said.  However that being said I see alot of replacement CVTs on these cars as well.  in my opinion a WRX should be manual only.

I agree with the 3.6 statement.  If I want to floor my 3.6 sometimes and I am at lights the car just acts weird.  Its bogged down.  But as soon as I get onto the highway again thing wakes up and has power when I need it and want it.

CVTs are just weird sometimes.  But at least the Subaru CVT is not as bad as others I have driven.  Honda seems to be one of the worst unless you floor it.  And I am a huge Honda fan(Daily is a 8th Gen civic with 220,000 on it)

In Japan, the WRX S4 is only available with the CVT, no manuals were available. The CVT S4 make a lot more torque than the WRX manual.  So I think the weak link is manual (NON-STI manual that is).  

Regarding how the CVT behaves when being flooring, I observed this behavior in all Subaru automatics.  The 4EAT in my old 98 Legacy GT, 5EAT in my Tribeca, 05 Legacy GT, Legacy 3.6R, and now my Ascent and 2020 Legacy XT don't like to be floored.  However, similar to what you observed on the highway, if you just press down on the accelerator without stomping from a stop, the Subarus will accelerate hard.   It is just Subaru being weird.  

You know, I can say, I don't think we've ever gone to WOT in the 3.6R Outback. The car is just so pleasant to drive. I have given it a quick stab of the throttle at times to move out into traffic, but never needed WOT.

Oh, yeah, the sales person called today, out 24 Outback XT is in. 

• Like 1

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

On 3/30/2024 at 8:16 AM, fourD2 said:

I think I know what you mean.  The hesitation you describe is caused by fake or simulated shift zones in the CVT meant to create a geared transmission experience.  It is most noticeable under conditions of light acceleration.  If you drive the car hard and the turbo spools up it is not noticeable but under light acceleration the transmission does not quite know what to do.  

I would much prefer a linear CVT experience but apparently the engineers at Subaru decided to go with the simulated gear concept.  

Yes but it like a half heart attempt at simulated shifts.  I will take a video when it does. It seems more prone to this behavior when it is cold.

On 4/5/2024 at 11:24 AM, Max Capacity said:

You know, I can say, I don't think we've ever gone to WOT in the 3.6R Outback. The car is just so pleasant to drive. I have given it a quick stab of the throttle at times to move out into traffic, but never needed WOT.

Oh, yeah, the sales person called today, out 24 Outback XT is in. 

I hear you there buddy, I get to about 50% throttle with mine and I'm like "oh shit we're gonna need to slow down" lmao.  That being said the car is rarely over 2500 rpm, it just doesn't need to be. Last night I was in a hurry to get somewhere and I may have experienced the 'hunt' OP is talking about.  The car 'shifted' three times in a short period of time with the same throttle input, i just thought... 'why??'

Edited by silverton

22 hours ago, silverton said:

I hear you there buddy, I get to about 50% throttle with mine and I'm like "oh shit we're gonna need to slow down" lmao.  That being said the car is rarely over 2500 rpm, it just doesn't need to be. Last night I was in a hurry to get somewhere and I may have experienced the 'hunt' OP is talking about.  The car 'shifted' three times in a short period of time with the same throttle input, i just thought... 'why??'

We have a 23' Nissan Rogue, it also will feel like it shifts gears sometimes, but it's a CVT, yesterday, it didn't feel like it shifted at all. I tend to notice it when I pull out, to the right, onto a state road, Rt32, which is a slight uphill to accelerate, to get up to speed before traffic coming up the hill from my left. I made note yesterday, that with no traffic coming from the left the car just feel like a CVT. I guess it may depend on how much throttle you give it, along with other things the car senses.  

I'll add, the Rogue's engine is not as quiet as the 3.6R or the XT's when accelerating.