LegacyGT.com

Creaking noise - HELP!

Hello!

I’ve got a 2008 JDM Subaru Legacy 2.0GT auto. 140,000km on the clock.

Something in the front end is creaking/squeaking when going over bumps, but it only happens when the car is “cold” (in the first 5 mins of driving). After things have warmed up/expanded, the creaking/squeaking sound will stop even when going over bumps. 

The lower control arm bushings were shot, so I got those replaced on both sides. Still makes the noise.

I swapped the polyurethane sway bar bushings for rubber ones and sprayed them with silicone WD-40. Still makes the noise.

What else could be making the noise?

Ive added a short clip of the sound while going over a bump. Hopefully it works.

• 2 weeks later...

Sway bar end links, are a known issue from years ago. Most describe it as a clunking noise going over cracks in the driveway.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I don’t think it’s the end links because it’s not a clunking noise. The car passed a WOF yesterday and I was talking to the mechanic about the noise. When I left I had him stand by the driveway to the business and listen for the noise when going over the bump/curb/gutter. He couldn’t figure out what it could be based on the sound but suggested it could be the struts? I’ve noticed that I don’t have the stock Bilsteins up front, but they are in the back. Someone prior to me must have changed them and he said that maybe if the wrong springs are installed then they could be rubbing on the top of the strut. Thoughts??

• 2 weeks later...

I’m wondering if the sway bar itself is the culprit. Is the front sway bar on a 2008 Subaru legacy 2.0GT the same as the front sway bar on a 2009 (gen 3 BP) Subaru outback? I’ve measured the thickness of them and they are the same, but I’m not sure if it’s different in other ways. The reason I ask is we have a blown up Outback and I was thinking of doing a cheeky wee swap of the sway bars if they are the same.

We don't have good access to EDM/JDM parts diagrams and part numbers around here, tho someone might be able to answer the question.

My guess would be the GT already has a thicker bar, same as USDM GT. I know my (same year) GT had thicker bars than my OBW... By like, 1 mm or something, but still. I've been meaning to install that for a while...