LegacyGT.com

6MT won't go in gear after swapping NSS

I swapped a 6MT from a Japanese Spec B a few years ago, but I didn't keep the original 5MT NSS in it so no cruise control. I am moving soon, so I wanted to get that fixed before then.

I was finally able to swap it out, but I had to take out the drive shaft and lower the transmission several inches while still bolted to the engine in order for me to get my arm above transmission (the 6MT NSS is on top of the transmission, not on the side like the 5MT). After I put everything back together and lowered the car off the jack stands, I went to put it in gear before starting the car to check everything, but it wouldn't go into any gear. Even after starting it up, it wouldn't go in gear.

I'm not sure what the issue could be, I've checked the clutch fluid, I had put everything back together correctly, the clutch depresses. I'm at a loss, although the shifter was still bolted in when I lowered the transmission, and some transmission fluid did come out after taking out the drive shaft but it shouldn't be enough to cause this.

If any of you have had something similar happen and fixed it, or general advice, please let me know.

Throw out bearing misaligned or messed up? Do you have someone that can operate the clutch while you watch the fork? 

Shifter linkage messed up? 

Thats all I got 

Edited by Bobsyouruncl

I had my wife pump the clutch while I observed it, and it operated just fine, and I looked at the clutch fork and it’s fine. I believe now it might be the shift linkage, hopefully that’s the issue and not something more. I’ll be getting around to it today or tomorrow.

• Like 1

I think even dropping the trans a couple of inches withoug first detaching the shift linkage could very easily have jacked something up.

Thinking of mine, there really isn't all that much play in it at all... Like I wanted to replace a leaking seal by doing the same thing (dropping the trans just a little) and decided against it because it was too much work to remove everything just for a thing that loses a few mL's of fluid annually.

Yeah, I had just detached the shift linkage the day prior so I thought that everything was good to lower the transmission, I was just so tired after dealing with it for 8 hours. But hopefully it’ll be an easy fix. 

I didn’t want to have to do all that work either crawling around under my car just for a tiny piece, but I’m glad I got it done except for this hiccup. But a seal leaking not that badly I wouldn’t do all that work either, until you got another thing that needs replacing under there.

• 4 weeks later...

If anyone else in the future has a similar issue, all it was the washer that goes between the transmission and the NSS wasn’t put on. Make sure it’s there before putting everything is put back together. Would’ve saved me a few days of trying to figure out the issue.

• Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, LegacyGTWagon05 said:

If anyone else in the future has a similar issue, all it was the washer that goes between the transmission and the NSS wasn’t put on. Make sure it’s there before putting everything is put back together. Would’ve saved me a few days of trying to figure out the issue.

NSS? 

9 minutes ago, rhino6303 said:

Neutral Safety Switch

It detects when the car is in a gear or in neutral.

Yep, I didn’t have cruise control previously because if you do a 6mt swap you need to keep the 5mt NSS on it, but I didn’t do that when I did the swap. And the 6mt NSS is located on top of the trans vs the 5mt being on the side.