LegacyGT.com

Threebond for Oil galley sensor adapters?

Hello

I'm getting ready to add an oil pressure gauge to my 09 LGT and the sensor is extremely big so I'm going to put it in the back of the motor by pulling out the rear oil Galley plug and adding an adapter for the sensor Is it okay to use three Bond on the threads or should I use something else to seal the threads?

Teflon tape should be fine…. No harm in threebond tho?

EDIT: Checked the install manual for my oil gauge, and they recommend using silicon thread paste for NPT threads. So.. pipe dope is what they recommend, essentially...  If you did go that route, I would think that you'd want to use the bare minimum.

Realistically, low strength thread locker would also seal things up a little. I used gas pipe teflon tape, and was careful not to use heaps, leaving bits that can shear off and go travelling through the oiling system.

Edited by KZJonny

Final thought. You can also mount the sending unit remotely, on the firewall or whatever, and connect it to the oil galley with copper/stainless tube. Mine was also surprisingly large, but I also decided to mount it at the rear oil galley to account for that.

The unit I picked up from Torque Solutions has Teflon Tape on it already. But three bond would work too. Just be sure to clean the threads regardless of what you use.

• Like 1

I didnt really think bout it but you may be right as the plug may have some pre applied thread product on it already.  I guess ill see what it looks like when I get it.

Yes. All depends. Some may be using a red putty like material. Or tef tape.

I've been using version 1211 lately, read into it a bit more at one point. Chemical: IE Fuel resistance is a plus. Of course I want the oil to stay in as well. :)

This last ZRX and EJ rebuild had me going down the rabbit hole for added protection.

In rare occasions gravity fed carb systems can fail on the bike and fill a crankcase with gas.

Had it on hand while rebuilding the EJ a year or so ago now.

No leaking on either.

Nice part is it's thinner and has a longer tack time. Thin, brush it on. Keep it clean and fabam. Nice seal and little blowout extra silicon running thru your AVCS hosing your operation internally.