LegacyGT.com

Timing Belt Kits

Hey people,

It's time for me to do the timing belt once the car comes out of storage. I was thinking about going for the Company23 kit (575) with the water pump. Not sure if there are other recommendations? As well, are the specialty Company23 tools like the cam lock tool, EJ crankshaft bit or sprocket tools worthwhile and if so, which?

Thanks in advance!

Yikes. At $399 USD, I really want to know where all those parts are from, tho they do claim OE. Probably, are or at least ought to be for the money.

I think most here are using the Aisin kit these days:

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=4007478&cc=1430733&pt=16088&jsn=452

Bearing are all legit and the belt is OE Mitsuboshi. ~$250 USD after Rockauto 5% discount. So not the end of the world difference, but it's money. If you're highly tuned or having problems with cooling, then maybe it's worth the extra cost, but I dunno... I have the Aisin kit installed, and the pump was really good, has the 'full size' impeller....

Of all those tools, I have the cam lock. Havent' used it yet, but I got tired of the 'million clamps' approach to holding the cam pulleys in place while installing the belt. Doing head stud install shortly, so I picked it up for when I reinstall everything. I think you should be fine using the old belt to hold the pulleys while you remove the bolts, etc... but ymmv. They'll make the job easier, but unless you're doing this often, I don't know if it is really worth it vs. the DIY methods that are relatively tried and true, if somewhat redneck...

Actually... looking closer at the Company 23 website they say they "work with Aisin" to have their water pumps made... so I think you know where that extra money is going, and it is not into the pump itself.

Don't get me wrong, I have a bunch of their stuff, but there is a limit on how much more I will spend on what appears to be the same stuff from different vendors, and that exceeds it.

I gather you've seen that. It's been a long time, but I think I used a ford wrench and C clam to hold the cam gear. A ford wrench is cheaper. My thread is linked to that I think.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here