LegacyGT.com

Engine Refresh - Studs, gaskets, etc...

My wagon on the OTS stg 2 tune won’t reach more than 13-14psi either. I also have a custom billet vf40 (not JmP, but other) that’s not tuned for it, and stock BCS. I’ve never quite understood why I can’t get upwards of 16psi

• Thanks 1

Interesting. I wonder why as well.

I used to see 16.5psi before the rebuild and nothing meaningful has changed since then. So, I suppose I’ll keep trying and see if anything sticks.

I could see there being a problem at the wastegate not opening all the way VF40 + divorced DP), but not closing? Doesn’t make sense, the WG is fully closed when you install the turbo, so I don’t see how it would be partially open.

All evidence points to some kind of boost control problem. Tho at least thankfully not a large one.

Same, I’ve never had a problem with full boost for Cobb maps before my turbo swap. I’ve made no other changes except the same type of turbo as a JmP billet. My downpipe is divorced wastegate, but I cut off the diverter plate so it wouldn’t contact the wastegate.

So… stock BCS, and 15psi on an only moderately aggressive run.

Strange.

I suppose it’s time to pay for that Cryotune and see what she can do on 18psi and a proper tune with a 3 port….

This is kind of becoming fiddly post-rebuild stuff now and not a rebuilt thread, but whatever. Good to log progress and see how things develop.

Finally figured out how to get my AP to datalog. Had to turn off a lot of the parameters that were selected, and go down to one gauge showing. I guess displaying too many gauges while trying to log uses up bandwidth.

Anyway, is there a better way to show these results than just looking at them in a spreadsheet? Does anyone know if that is a functionality that some kind of COBB software (or other) offers.

As it stand, I am at a silly boost error across the board, so I am going to do a smoke test and see if that comes up with anything. I am super sure I connected and tightened everything, but I could be wrong. Smoke test is easy/fast. Funny thing sort of it, that it get to, and hold 14psi or so easily when cruising on the highway and accelerating in high gear. I guess I would think if I had a big boost leak, it wouldn't do that, but who knows.

I'm also kind of wondering if maybe I did not snug the transmission mount bolts back down properly after re-installing the engine. I think I did (or the pitch stop maybe?) Gotta check. I am still getting random timing pulled on FKC, but it seems to have no rhyme of reason, and I don't have any indicators of running. If anything, fuel trims are trying to pull some fuel here and there. Idle is at -11% across the board, and there are some more negative trims, all under 5% or so other places. I suspect that the AEM pump + STi FPR are causing a little more fuel to be delivered at a little more pressure than is needed. Fine by me, better rich than lean. But it also means I should definitely install the STi pump module and heavy gauge wiring before being tuned, since that will only make the problem "worse"....

Perfect numbers on the AP today when I made a point of trying to make every shift gentle, slow and smooth. (Not that I regularly smash through shifts)

I do get a little clunking on harder shifting tho, so unless there is some kind of improper install of summat, I am going to blame something being loose in there as the culprit for the occassional crazy knock feedback I get.

Yaris is on the lift tho at the moment getting a surprise rear brake job. Just put it up to see which of the two rear wheel bearing was making noise and causing the ABS sensor to go out. Turns out one bearing is a little noise and looks original it is so rusted on the outside. I am guess that one. Surprise! The wheel cylinder on the opposite side is beginnint to fail and leak inside the drum. So... what was supposed to be a coupld hours work is now waiting on  a slide hammer and part to arrive.

GT will go up as soon as those parts arrive and are installed for a quick nut and bolt check before a long highway drive and some early season glamping this coming weekend.

• Like 1