LegacyGT.com

non-HID Headlight Wows - help

hi,

I have a 2008 Legacy BP5. Both headlights need replacing.

The model I have has the non-HID type of headlight and all I can find are HID units.

Is there any way that I can modify the wiring and connector to suit the HID unit - there only seems to be one extra wire??

thanks

I am in New Zealand - I can assure you it's not that easy.

Was looking at 2nd Hand spares and wanted to know how I can get an HID unit to fit the non-HID car - only one wire difference it would seem.

Japan auctions would be a good place to look…but as someone who’s looked around for parts made outside the USDM that are much nicer options that the rest of the world got i can see how it’d be difficult. All I ever find is HID. Have you tried restoring them? I don’t know if you’ve got suppliers in NZ that supply those sorts of things but I’d imagine you could find them in Aus?

It’ll help others to offer useful advice if you put a location in your profile or signiture.

Given that probably 95% of membership here is North American, and there are daily questions like yours… it’s often assumed that the person just asked a question before spending any time looking. Regular occurance.

You’d need all the ballasts, and igniters to wire in the HIDs anyway, so count on adding a few hundred to the cost of a set of HID lenses unless you can gather all of that from the scrap yard?

And Fwiw. Rockauto ships worldwide. It’s a little over $600 NZD to get a pair sent to my old place in Blenheim, so while that might be too dear, and you’d need to adjust for RHD, it remains an option if you like the car enough.

IMG_3737.thumb.png.5ccfa87b650da91bc0db97c4a5f02435.png

I actually have a set of 2nd hand HID units - so they come with every thing - ballasts (on the bottom of unit) and bulbs.

I just can't connect them as the main connector is ever so slightly different and has 6 wires in the 6 pin plug where my current set up only has 5 wires populated in the 6 pin plug.

so does anyone know the wiring for this plug?

Thanks

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SoobyDoobyDoo said:

I didn’t think of this before but check Legacy Oddsnends, they’ve got a plug n play wire harness for non-HID cars.

That was useful thanks. However it confirms to me that I do currently have JDM headlights installed even down to the leveling motors.

But... they must be an early model with a halogen bulb. Tge wiring harness is the same apart from:

6 pin plug

1) only 5 wires installed .. middle top is empty

2) lug on male connector stops it from connecting to female harness connector 

Has anyone seen this scenario before???