LegacyGT.com

Battery replaced and intermittent electrical issues (Eyesite & the At Oil Temp light blinks)?

Greetings all,

I replaced my battery in the car (2015 Subaru Legacy Limited 4cyl) since the battery died (couldn't start car etc).   Tested battery, and said it should be replaced (used my own tester).    After replacing the battery, I had to do the normal reset of Auto Windows up/down.  Everything seems to be fine.  Issue is intermittently when driving, Eyesite system lights go on (eye site systems don't work) and the "At Oil Temp" light blinks.   Of course after I get home, I turn off the car and restart the car after a bit, and everything is normal.

Any Suggestions?  I am probably going to take it to the dealer to have everything checked out, but if you have any suggestions, please let me know to save some $$$

Thank You All....

the modules get all sorts of wonky when the voltage gets to a certain point.  try a 'cap discharge'; disconnect the negative and hold it to the positive for an arbitrary 30 seconds.  when you go for the first start after the reconnection it should crank longer than you expect it to, and then let the vehicle idle with ZERO loads, no lights no hvac etc, for 20 minutes.

I just dropped my 2015 Subaru Legacy off at the dealer today.   They did some tests and since the "At Oil Temp" light blinks. They tested more and found out it was the CVT Valve Body that needs to be replaced.  He said when the light goes off, other lights on the dash will also go off weirdly like mine did.  So it is covered under the CVT extended warranty.  They have to keep it a few days since they have to get their trans guy to fix it.  Looking on website, it looks like the part alone is ~$1100.... I presume they will have to change the CVT fluid, so that will save me some money even though i did it in 2022 LOL...

Edited by Whitesnake

The car has less than 80k.  Nice the dealer was honest and checked it out and did it under warranty.  I presume they did it under TSB 16-107-17.   Looking at the TSB, "CVT Warranty Extension is ten (10) years from the warranty start date or 100,000 miles, whichever occurs first".  So, I purchased the car at the end of 2014.  If the car had this issue next year, I presume it wouldn't have been fixed under warranty. Whew!

• 4 weeks later...

Just chiming in on this.

I have a trusted mechanic I have been going to for years.  He is an ex Subie mechanic and an expert on repairs.  He told me with CVT's to change out the fluid alot(Like every 15K) and they will be fine.  Issue he said it is gets expensive but is better then replacing a whole unit.  He said he wished car makers would stop putting CVT's in everything as the old 4EAT and 5EAT never had any issues unless abused.  I had to agree with him on that 100% but it is what it is.