LegacyGT.com

experience on XT MT mods

Has anyone made any performance mods to their 08 Outback XT MT? I've just purchase a Cobb tuner, which should arrive Monday, so I'll post my thoughts. I'm also considering a 3" downpipe from Cobb to reduce the turbo lag that is very noticeable. I've been unsuccessful trying to find a turbo back exhaust or cat back exhaust designed for my vehicle. Has anyone been able to find one or have any experience with the mods I'm in the process of doing? I'd like to hear about your experience if you have.

This should help: copy and paste this into your browser search bar and see what it gets you.

‘Insert your search term here’ site:legacygt.com

There is most of 20 years of people modifying their GT/XTs here. Good luck!

Edited by KZJonny
  • Like 3

Welcome to the ghost town.

Nameless has a full cat back option for the OBXT. I have a pair of the older version of the 5" mufflers not in use at the moment.

Set your goals. Stay on track with said goals.

Your going to need some other mods first thing a tune to support the DP.

Off the shelf Cobb tunes are ok but all depends on goals and current condition of your car/HW already in play.

Not many out there will still have the stock turbo, can happen though. If that is changed to something other than the stock setup you need to go custom tune. Cobb will only be a platform to help make the changes, they will not be getting involved in chasing all the options out there. They are focused on stock HW tunes with their off the shelf maps.

Example: BNR16G... Needed a custom tune. No off the shelf tune from Cobb will facilitate the added fuling needs. Regardless of DP installed.

Search a bunch as KZJonny mentioned. Many have gone full race car to find it's a can of worms and spend way more than it's worth.

• Like 1

Load up the stage one tune when you get your Cobb AP, in my opinion it’s better than the OEM map. If you add a downpipe, which I’d recommend, you can go to the stage two tune without much concern for reliability. I feel like the Cobb off the shelf maps are quite safe.

Go slow would be my advice. Don’t just focus on power mods. A short shifter and rear sway bar are as much fun to me as adding more hp. A cold air intake and BOV are worthless when starting out in my experience.

The car is 16 years old so I’d recommend starting with a full maintenance overhaul. Go over the fluids, spark plugs, coil packs, hoses and gaskets, drivetrain, suspension, all bushings, control arms, brakes, etc.. Do these things before trying to make it faster in my opinion 

Seriously suspension mods transformed the car for me. Whiteline Sways, Moog or your choice of endlinks, AVO rear mount stiffeners. I had a short time with the Stage one Cobb tune before getting Etune from Cryo.