LegacyGT.com

Feedback from OBXT owners with STI 6 speed

Hey Everyone,

New member to this forum somewhat new to owning a Subaru.  I grew up with an 04 Outback in the family and learned to drive stick on it, in August 2018 purchased a 2018 WRX, then in September 2021 traded in the WRX for a 2021 STI which I currently own as well as a 2007 Outback NA that I purchased in December 2022.  

I have researched and read all sorts of things about different Subarus with turbos and as life changes different cars become more interesting!  I love my STI and have wanted one since high school (34 years old now) but I live in Montana and I moved to a place where I can’t keep it garaged somewhat recently and I can’t bring myself to drive it and enjoy in all Montana’s weather conditions even though I know it would be a blast. It is just a nice car and I don’t want to mess it up! I baby the thing and try to keep it pristine but it is just not very practical for me to have 3 cars ( own a 97 Tacoma too).  I love my outback and drive that thing everywhere and in all conditions which brought my thoughts to buying an Outback XT/Legacy GT/Forester XT.  

I bought the STI for the drivetrain because it is pretty awesome.   I don’t want to sacrifice not having the STI drivetrain which has brought me to buying one of those cars and STI swapping it.  I know the Forester is based on the Impreza and all STI pieces swap making things pretty straight forward.  I know the Legacy/Outback are on a different platform and that the transmission will swap  as well as the R180 but not the STI axles, subframe, knuckles, etc.  I know the spec b has some comparable pieces to swap  and the outback/legacy is also a more comfortable car with the greatness of being a wagon!!!  I know you can modify suspensions, tune, and other things to make the wagons handle better and have more power. 300-330 whp is where I would like to be.

I have found a couple options on manual Outback XT’s and a manual Legacy GT wagon and I have been thinking of selling my STI as well as Outback and buying one of those and doing a STI 6-speed swap.   My questions for those of you that have done the 6-speed swaps have you driven an STI and how does that compare to a STI swapped outback/legacy as far as how it feels drivetrain wise?  I know the 5x100 axles are not as robust as the STI axles and those aren’t an option on the legacy/outback platform.  Can the 5x100s still feel the same ish at 300-330 whp? As well as handle driving canyons and snow?  It will mostly be a daily driver,  I know the gas mileage won’t be great but I know the fun factor would be great in Montana’s snow and mountains.   I just think it would be cool to own a different car especially a wagon but have the perks of the STI still.  Any thoughts feedback are most welcome! Sorry for the lengthy post

• Like 3

Have fun with whatever you decide on dude. I do not have (nor really need/want) a 6MT in my 4th Gen wagon, so I cannot provide a good comparo for you on that front. I would however say that if you haven't driven the 5MT that comes in the GT, it's worth spending a little time with it before necassarily condemning it to a 6MT swap, from a cost perspective. The ratios in them are really pretty good, and aside from wanting a 6th to keep highway RPMs down a little, they are not a bad trans overall.

An increasingly popular option is swapping to the cable actuated 6MT from a WRX/Legacy. It's the 5MT with a highway gear. Probably 1/3 the cost of the STi trans, and would hold the 300whp your after. Just throwing it out as an option, if infinite money is not part of the plan. I DO want one of these for my car, but really just becuse I like road tripping in it, and the highway gear would be nice. For 85% of the driving I do, the 5MT is excellent, and really a lot of fun in the twisties, where I almost never need to get up aboce 3rd.... I have a modified stock turbo which spools fast, and hold boost right to red line, so the torque availability is pretty good. At least enough to haul the 3500lbs of mid-size wagon through a tight curve and speeds that might instill a little pucker if you're expecting the car to handle like a soccer-mom grocery getter. :)

• Like 3

In stock form you can't compare the 2021 Sti to a legacy gt in stock form.  It is not an apples to apples comparison.  That being said you can improve on the suspension/handling and power of the Legacy to get it closer to an apples to apples comparison.

You can swap a sti 6spd into a legacy so you can still have dccd, or you can use a 6spd from a spec b(does not have dccd).  Easiest option is to grab spec b rear axles that will fit the r180 rear diff.  Coupled with other suspension/bushing upgrades it will make for a very fun wagon.  Getting to 300whp is relatively easy as well.  

• Like 1

#LGTSTi is still cheaper and nicer then an equal year wrxsti

Follow my 2007 Spec B. Build here

Oh I will for sure have fun haha that’s why I want to do a swap.    I love the STI drivetrain, it is what I bought the STI for and I am not going to part ways with it. I just want a project and think it would be sweet to have a soccer mom wagon that hauls ass and handles well.   I know the stock trans is good and other 6 speed options but I know I won’t be satisfied until it has an STI drivetrain.  The STI hubs and axles themselves are beefier than the legacy hubs and axles and since being able to swap those with a STI trans swap isn’t feasible with the outback/legacy I was curious if those that have done the swap have had any issues with legacy hubs and axles with the STI trans. 

• Like 1

Definitely understand that.  You will be very happy with the end result, not sure you will be happy with what you pay to get this installed and running the way you want, lol.  It is possible.  I would say make sure to start with a manual Outback/Legacy GT if you can it will save you a lot of money, time and stress.

You can use the STI drivetrain, but you will need hybrid axles for the rear or you can use the legacy GT front axles or STI front axles if they came out of a car that was 5x100.  For the rear I would suggest using 07-09 spec b rear axles as they will be plug and play with your r180 rear diff, otherwise you will need to create a hybrid axle using the inner axle from the STI, and mate it with an outer Legacy GT. 

I did convert my 1st 5spd legacy GT into a 6spd legacy GT(from a specB so as plug and play as you can get if you have all the parts) and the increased mile/gallon was nice while I had it.  It also is capable of handling more power if you go with a solid case 6spd as opposed to a split case 6spd found in WRX

• Like 2

#LGTSTi is still cheaper and nicer then an equal year wrxsti

Follow my 2007 Spec B. Build here

I sold my 04 STi to purchase my LGT wagon well over a decade ago. While my wagon doesn’t have a 6mt it’s very fun to drive and the 5mt is a great transmission like Jonny mentioned, capable of 300whp all day. I’ve driven an LGT STi 6mt, and with an STi or specB 6mt the LGT or OBXT wagons would be an absolute blast. Adding some bolt-ons and suspension, it would be comparable to the STi in my opinion and 300whp is relatively easy to achieve.

Also you’d have something completely unique and I bet you’d love it. Cost wise, you’ll be waaay under a newer STi. I’d 100% say go for it, and I almost guarantee you’d be very happy with your decision. We are pretty (very) biased here about our cars so take all of this for what it’s worth.

Also your auto insurance cost will be cut in half or more.

• Like 3