LegacyGT.com

Clear Coat Delamination

Anyone else having issues with their clear coat de-laminating? It's happening all over the vehicle and makes me quite sad.

I guess it's time to paint the whole car?

🥲

been happening to mine for a few years...hood, a pillars, roof.  subaru's never been known for their paint quality, but i've never seen laquer peel like on this gen.  definitely is quite sad, but i don't have the funds for a whole new paint job so....i've just learned to live with it.  you can do some at home fixes, but...eh. 

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, creep_nu said:

been happening to mine for a few years...hood, a pillars, roof.  subaru's never been known for their paint quality, but i've never seen laquer peel like on this gen.  definitely is quite sad, but i don't have the funds for a whole new paint job so....i've just learned to live with it.  you can do some at home fixes, but...eh. 

When I had my Legacy there was one time where I was power washing it and a huge chunk of paint came off the rear quarter fender. I learned just how bad the paint was after that...

yeah a pressure washer took a whole bunch out of my A pillar.  i stopped using a pressure washer immediately after that.  my 20 year old acura never had a problem, my 12 year old volkswagen doesn't have this problem...ah well

• Like 2

Just the hard plastics for me. Clearcoat failing on hoodscoop and door handles. eBay has cheap stick on door handle covers in chrome, black or “carbon fiber”. I put those on the driver side so I didn’t have to look at the issue everyday. 

• Sad 1

21 hours ago, NVAKeith said:

eBay has cheap stick on door handle covers in chrome, black or “carbon fiber”. I put those on the driver side so I didn’t have to look at the issue everyday. 

That's how I'd go about the issue as well lmao.

• Like 1

I wonder if it's color specific - I had a 12 Legacy in ice silver metallic until a month or so ago, and the paint was pretty much pristine (from a peeling perspective) - I am pretty good about washing and wax it every 2-3 months or so.  This is in NM - it was garaged at night, but out in the sun all day (and we get lots of sun!) - same deal with my previous 02 WRX.  (I wash with a pressure washer as well - foam sprayer, wash with a wet towel, spray it off, then dry and sometimes wax it)

On 1/17/2024 at 8:20 PM, DrD123 said:

I wonder if it's color specific - I had a 12 Legacy in ice silver metallic until a month or so ago, and the paint was pretty much pristine (from a peeling perspective) - I am pretty good about washing and wax it every 2-3 months or so.  This is in NM - it was garaged at night, but out in the sun all day (and we get lots of sun!) - same deal with my previous 02 WRX.  (I wash with a pressure washer as well - foam sprayer, wash with a wet towel, spray it off, then dry and sometimes wax it)

I wonder too. I also wonder if it's too late to get some $$ from SOA because it looks to me there is a defect causing this. The car was mostly garage kept and only has 118K miles. I never had issues with my 4th gens paint and this makes me sad and cry $$$$ tears lol