LegacyGT.com

2019 Legacy Dead Battery Wont Start Now

I have a 2019 Subaru Legacy that is our second car.  It sat for a several months without being started and therefore the battery died completely.  It was already a bad battery from the Battery Drain issue that we got fixed.  But anyways we finally got around to driving it, tried starting (Couldn't even get into the car due to the dead battery...Had to use the physical key) of it was deader than dead.  Tried putting a Battery Charger on it just to drive it a short ways and it wouldn't even charge.  Got a new battery and put in, and now all the car does is crank, and doesn't start.  All electronics work on it such as dash, key fobs, and everything else from what we can tell.  It just cranks and doesnt turn over.  I am getting a notification that the Eyesight is off or disabled and that I need to check the engine (Says to check the manual).  

Just right off would anyone know where I could start looking to correct this problem.  Would the computer somehow need to be reset?  Maybe the Key Fobs?  The only thing that I think would be pertinent to this is that it had a completely dead battery for about 2 months or so.  I don't think anything would have chewed on wires or anything like that:):)

Any help is greatly appreciated:):)  Wanna get this thing up and running before bad weather hits us:):)  Thanks you guys.

You did a hard reset on the electronics when it went dead.  You may have to crank a while to build fuel pressure.  It is possible that one or more of the fuel injectors is gummed up, but it would snort and jump if it ha a couple working.  I'd recommend getting a can of starting fluid and have somebody spray it into the air intake while you crank it; if you have spark it will run briefly.

Modern chargers won't function with a completely dead battery, but the better ones (and jump packs) have an override button so you can tell it that there is actually a battery there.  If you have a jump pack, usually you can bring it up from 0 with that and the charger will take it from there.

Edited by ronemus

The modules get extra triply unhappy when the battery slowly drains like that..  Do a cap discharge; disconnect the neg and touch it to the positive for 30 seconds and try to start it.  It will crank long but hold through it should fire.

Thanks you guys for the replies:):)  I will do the suggestions you recommended.  @silverton Would I disconnect both the negative and Positive Terminals from the battery and touch them together, or would I disconnect just the negative while the positive is still attached while I touch them both together.

Thanks again for the help!!:):)

55 minutes ago, beeson76 said:

Thanks you guys for the replies:):)  I will do the suggestions you recommended.  @silverton Would I disconnect both the negative and Positive Terminals from the battery and touch them together, or would I disconnect just the negative while the positive is still attached while I touch them both together.

Thanks again for the help!!:):)

This one.  the negative cable has enough slack to reach. If you feel better/safer disconnecting them both you may do it that way but not necessary.

Ok.  I did all the suggestions, and nothing seemed to work.  I will put more gas into it in a little bit to maybe add pressure to it.  But while I was looking around the engine, I noticed a mouse nest right on top of the engine.  And sure enough, the stupid mouse chewed thru a wire:(:(  So I will have to replace this connector.  Can anyone tell me what connector this is?  The 2 pictures with red markings are where the connector is at.  On top of the engine, right dab in the middle.

Any help is greatly appreciated:):)

Thanks

IMG_20231228_154849.jpg

IMG_20231228_155215.jpg

IMG_20231228_155541.jpg

IMG_20231228_155558.jpg

Most auto parts stores will have connectors you can splice in. NAPA is my choice.

If mice are a problem. go get some Tom Cat mode blocks, from any hardware store, I have them all around my property, sheds, basement, garage. inside my 86' F150 which sits outside.

https://www.google.com/search?q=tom+cat+poison&rlz=1C1OKWM_enUS906US906&oq=Tom+Cat&gs_lcrp=EgZjaHJvbWUqCggBEAAYsQMYgAQyCggAEAAYsQMYgAQyCggBEAAYsQMYgAQyBwgCEAAYgAQyBwgDEC4YgAQyBwgEEAAYgAQyBwgFEAAYgAQyCQgGEAAYChiABDIHCAcQABiABDIHCAgQABiABDIHCAkQABiABNIBCTY1ODhqMGoxNagCALACAA&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here