LegacyGT.com

LegacyGT.com East Coast Meetup June 7-9, '24 - Spare Parts and WTB Thread

boxkita

Side vs top always seemed like a snake oil to me. my wagon ran 850cc (or 750, it was 12 years ago) side feeds always. 

If yer tuner says top feed then do the conversion or find a new tuner. Learning to tune is not the right answer. Like learning to replace yer hg with beer and harbor freight tools. Sometimes it's just easier to roll with the demands.

as usual, I'm just here to add more flames to the dumpster 

9 hours ago, boxkita said:

Side vs top always seemed like a snake oil to me. my wagon ran 850cc (or 750, it was 12 years ago) side feeds always. 

If yer tuner says top feed then do the conversion or find a new tuner. Learning to tune is not the right answer. Like learning to replace yer hg with beer and harbor freight tools. Sometimes it's just easier to roll with the demands.

as usual, I'm just here to add more flames to the dumpster 

Valid point tho. I should maybe make a call to one of the local brick and mortar places. No harm in bringing the actual car in person for a dyno tune. I suppose the couple extra dollars is fine, and maybe they're not afraid to use high quality side feeds. We shall see.

On with the parts swap!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have a Subaru Rally banner that hung in the shop for years and is now hanging in my garage. It might be the last piece of "memorabilia" left. I can't think of anything else "Subie" I have. 

I can trade the banner for ??? at the meet.  Iirc it was a gift from a forum member (Dave?).  

9 hours ago, m sprank said:

I have a Subaru Rally banner that hung in the shop for years and is now hanging in my garage. It might be the last piece of "memorabilia" left. I can't think of anything else "Subie" I have. 

I can trade the banner for ??? at the meet.  Iirc it was a gift from a forum member (Dave?).  

I got some really cool stickers from a west coast subie shop..,

On 12/5/2023 at 9:44 AM, Enlight said:

These Deatschwork 650cc's are what I was running for the VF52 before my tuner asked me to upgrade to 1,000cc, so I think it should be enough but I'm not an expert. I will PM you with pictures when I visit my mom's place. Do you have a place that can clean injectors nearby? South Bay Fuel Injectors is not far from me.

I talk myself into everything. Always.

I'll find some place that will tune for quality side feeds. Deutschwerks make good things, and if a tuner is squirrely about tuning for them, I'll move along. You can run a VF52 on stock injectors, it is only the + JMP Custom part of the equation that makes me think I will need a little headroom on the injectors.

650cc's should be sufficient for me. I do not have a built short block, so I am RPM limited by rods +valvetrain anyway. Please sign me up for them.

I think I mentioned it elsewhere, but there is a place near me that does injectors cleaning, if you suspect that it is required, but if they were running fine for you before the big upgrade, then I imagine they'd be just fine for me as well.

44 minutes ago, KZJonny said:

I talk myself into everything. Always.

I'll find some place that will tune for quality side feeds. Deutschwerks make good things, and if a tuner is squirrely about tuning for them, I'll move along. You can run a VF52 on stock injectors, it is only the + JMP Custom part of the equation that makes me think I will need a little headroom on the injectors.

650cc's should be sufficient for me. I do not have a built short block, so I am RPM limited by rods +valvetrain anyway. Please sign me up for them.

I think I mentioned it elsewhere, but there is a place near me that does injectors cleaning, if you suspect that it is required, but if they were running fine for you before the big upgrade, then I imagine they'd be just fine for me as well.

The stock 550 side feeds will max out with the JMP-52, I got to 105% on them a few times. 

I went to 740 side feeds and don't break 80% duty cycle on my tune.

650's should be fine, may not give you everything a JMP-52 can give you, but should be fairly close.

22 minutes ago, Infosecdad said:

650's should be fine, may not give you everything a JMP-52 can give you, but should be fairly close.

Well....

740 * 0.8 = 592

592/650 = 0.9107

So, the napkin math says they should hold up to your tune anyway? I reckon ~91% IDC is reasonably safe anyway.

I tailchased you around a little being lullabied by the amazing sound of the Ganadors you had on at the time (I think?) Now, I don't think for a minute I could keep up in a high-rpm straght line run, but for the sweet sweet twisties, where you're limited more by traction and grip. My suspicion is that whatever magic you've got in your ECU will be about all I need or care to have.

Like you, I can get full effort out of my pump as well, with the wiring + STi control module, which should help keep me on the right side of 14.7.... 😬

• Like 2

Ah, yes. Those would leave lots of room. I never got to know SBT on here well, but everything he wrote and did suggests he did things right, and took care of his stuff.

Reckon they'll fit in the carry on? Somehow I don't imagine you coming to this thing with checked luggage? ;)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, m sprank said:

Always go for headroom. Unless their sooo big it effects idle. 

Appreciate the advice.

Basic calculations say that 850's would max out at  ~70% IDC. Lots of head room.

Given that @Enlight seems to be doing just fine on a VERY similar setup with 1000cc injectors, I suspect I would be just fine for idle. I suppose I could collect both sets and if I have problems with the big injectors, then I can swap and tune. Else, I will either pass them along to whoever needs or wants, etc...

9 minutes ago, KZJonny said:

Ah, yes. Those would leave lots of room. I never got to know SBT on here well, but everything he wrote and did suggests he did things right, and took care of his stuff.

Reckon they'll fit in the carry on? Somehow I don't imagine you coming to this thing with checked luggage? ;)

currently talking with jjberk about sharing a ride to ECM. If she has her suv, i'd bring a couple suitcases of parts.

otherwise, yeah, I'm carryon only.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KZJonny said:

Appreciate the advice.

Basic calculations say that 850's would max out at  ~70% IDC. Lots of head room.

Given that @Enlight seems to be doing just fine on a VERY similar setup with 1000cc injectors, I suspect I would be just fine for idle. I suppose I could collect both sets and if I have problems with the big injectors, then I can swap and tune. Else, I will either pass them along to whoever needs or wants, etc...

boxkita's wagon was 750's side injectors. ran at about 95%. pulled like a freight train. 

Im pretty well convinced it was the best car that shop ever built. 

• Like 2

850 idles fine. North of 1300cc is where you have work to do. 

I liked to keep it to about 90% max duty cycle. Have trust issues pushing past that regularly. 

With sidefeeds, 850cc is about as large as you can go.  Some tuners will shy away as sidefeed are not as "predictable" as top feed. They don't always flow the same with the same signal. It's the nature of the beast.  When all we had was sf no one complained. When tf became an option tuners wanted tf only. 

• Like 2