LegacyGT.com

Road & Track Speed Magazine comparo

RayDhaIn

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

were you looking at the Jan/Feb 2006 issue? its in there, but its not featured on the cover, nor readily identifiable in the table of contents (the TOC even has the wrong page number listed for the comparison)

it has the ford gt on the cover, and an intro page that states its the last print edition ever (thereafter online only)

what struck me was that the spec-b had the same slalom speed as the LGT and a skidpad of .83g vs. .82g from R&T's test of the LGT a year ago

Boy is it fun watching you guys scramble to to censor someone who points out that the one authoritative comparison out there concluded that the LGT's biggest and most direct rival (the Mazdaspeed 6) is the superior car. I love it!! The Emperor has no clothes!!

no offense guy, but i'll take 5.5/14.2 and superior reliability over 6.0/14.2 and questionable reliability

fwiw, someone posted on another site that MT runs a comparo btwn these two in its upcoming Feb issue (unconfirmed -- i haven't seen it) and that the spec-b won that comparo

edited to add: what melayout said

as far as the handling, the article said something like the car would slightly roll in the corners until the progressive springs would catch and then the car remained flat. Also, the car had a tendency to lift throttle oversteer, but reapplying the gas would tighten the line. Handling was noticeably superior to the regular legacy gt.

Boy is it fun watching you guys scramble to to censor someone who points out that the one authoritative comparison out there concluded that the LGT's biggest and most direct rival (the Mazdaspeed 6) is the superior car. I love it!! The Emperor has no clothes!!

I personally welcome intelligent and friendly discussion on just about any topic, and certainly have no desire to censor anyone. However, while I realize that most of the topics you bring up and your responses are tongue-in-cheek, your level of maturity in presenting them is what bothers me.

You do realize that you are posting to a Subaru Legacy site right? Oh course you will get opinions biased towards that car. It's a fine car, but if for no other reason, everyone will almost always go out of their way to validate their choices. When all you contribute to the community is baiting members into arguments with your asinine comments, you sir are a troll.

BTW, I happen to like the Mazda6. I chose one for my fiance a couple of years ago. I do feel that the Speed6 is a nice car as well, but that as typical of Mazda, it's power output is overrated. In addition, one magazine (C&D, I believe) correctly noted that the reason that the Speed6 uses a TMIC, is so that it's powerplant will be more easily adapted to other platforms. You could argue that Subaru chose the TMIC route for the same reason. However, Mazda's mistake is asiduously avoiding a hood scoop, effectively making the TMIC an interheater, rather than an intercooler. Give the Speed6 an good FMIC and it probably is a better car than the LGT.

Look "Boostjunkie"....

I am not the idiot who posted the following: "Seriously, Shut The F$ck Up...You're acting like a child." That was your boy Melayout, who calls himself 'Resident Thread Reaper'.

And I am not the one who posted that gem: "Kaa Kaa Man, STFU....Seriously, your drivel soils any sane discussion." Melayout was.

And, I am not the person who posted the following pro-free speech verbiage: '...ban this freaking troll!!!' YOU were!

Go look at my postings and look at the fact that I did not use one obscenity or engage in any personal attacks. You and your pal Melayout did.

So, grow up yourself...and deal with the fact, as you now apparently admit, that it's easy to make the argument that the Mazdaspeed is the better car.

I am not the idiot who posted the following: "Seriously, Shut The F$ck Up...You're acting like a child." That was your boy Melayout, who calls himself 'Resident Thread Reaper'.

And I am not the one who posted that gem: "Kaa Kaa Man, STFU....Seriously, your drivel soils any sane discussion." Melayout was.

And, I am not the person who posted the following pro-free speech verbiage: '...ban this freaking troll!!!' YOU were!

Go look at my postings and look at the fact that I did not use one obscenity or engage in any personal attacks. You and your pal Melayout did.

So, grow up yourself...and deal with the fact, as you now apparently admit, that it's easy to make the argument that the Mazdaspeed is the better car.

I probably shouldn't get involved, but you annoy me.

You know why we haven't said anything to Melayout??? Because we agree with him. All your posts/threads are pointless.

Go away!!! Please!!!

No matter how you cut it, the Mazda outpointed the Subaru. If Subaru had scored 1.5 points higher, I'm sure everyone on this site would be crowing about how the Subaru "beat" the Mazda. So turnabout is fair play.

All Hail King Mazda!!!

Truth be told..the magazine editors said clearly that it didnt win, they only liked it better. In other words the cars performed equally well, but they just had a liking more to the mazda. Some people might actually like a chevy cobalt better than a lgt, but that doest make it a better car. The winning points were subjective, who knows..if it were purely based on the car and no preferances the lgt may have won. Regardless, its just nice to see the LGT getting into some comparo's that it deserves to be in and getting recognition for the car it really is.

ahh.....we all realize that ka ka man loves the MS6. this isn't going to stop. and we love our gt's. that's why we own them. both are good cars...but we on this site who own gt's can not forget to point out the following that so many of us have already touched on.

1. Every magazine you look at will have different tests and different results. C&D put the TSX above the GT, while Road & Track gave the nod to the Legacy. For me the GT also wins hands down over the TSX...ah so i bought one. The same will go for the MS6 and the B-Spec.

2. TMIC without a hood scoop...nice job mazda....err should i say FORD.

(Found On Roadside Daily)

3. Price...MS6 is more expensive then a GT but similar to the B-spec. If you were to use the cost difference in mods on a GT you would could possibly hand the MS6 a new one.

4. Looks..subjective. Some people love the Honda Element..not me and that's ok.

5. Mods. Edge to Subaru. A lot already exists. Since the MS6 will be such a small production run. Mods will come on slowly and I would expect them to be more expensive.

6. Weight...MS6 is about 400lbs. or so heavier. Lighter is always a good thing.

7. AWD. Subaru has a long long history with AWD....it's all they do. MS6..new AWD drive system that is FWD biased until slip is detected. Personally l like knowing I've got 50/50 all the time and knowing I have a proven system under me.

8. Reliability. Subaru is up there....no Honda or Toyota, but better than Mazda per Consumer reports. And with the MS6 and it's new platform that becomes a question. If your ok with it, fine by me enjoy your MS6.

Can't we all just get along?:icon_bigg

Thanks for the sanity, Han's GT, but let me correct your misapprehension of what it is I am trying to accomplish by jerking the chains of some people:

1) I own a 2005 Subary Legacy GT Limited. I plunked down $34,000 of my own money (cost+Limited Options+tax+100,000 mile warranty) for the car and couldn't be happier with it. So as to your implication that I am somehow biased against the car, you are wrong...because I own one!

2) I invite anybody to look at all my postings...yes occasionally I thumb my nose at those of you who take this all much too seriously (with silly posts like "Lambo vs Pagani vs LGT", etc.) but if you ever read my substantive posts you will see that they are thoughtful and respectful. And, note that you will never find any personal attacks (which Melayout likes to engage in) or obscenties (ditto).

3) In fact, if I had the choice of the Subaru or the Mazda, I would, in fact, STILL take the Subaru for all of the following reasons: (a) all the points made by Han's GT above; (b) the fact that the Legacy was named as only one of four cars to receive the Gold Medal as the safest passenger cars in their class on the road today, by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (note: no Volvos, Mazdas or Toyotas made the list!); © the fact that if you get rid of the atrocious Bridgestone stock tires and put on some decent tires (I use F-1's) you eliminate 80% of the handling deficiencies of the car; (d) the fact the low-center-of-gravity Boxer Engine makes the handling nimble and enjoyable; and (e) the well-earned reputation of the LGT for top-notch reliability -- something the Mazda can't claim. Suprised at my opinion? If you read all my postings you shouldn't be.

4) Go look at the review on epinions.com that appears at:

http://www.epinions.com/content_167817612932

If you have any doubts as to whether I am biased against the LGT or a "Mazda plant", consider the following: I authored that review.....

Now that I have accomplished my objective of fleshing out the OCD types who can't brook any friendly jesting and take this all too seriously (Melayout, or Mr. "STFU" as I call him, is certainly "Exhibit A") I will now retire back to responsible citizenship on this site and continue to enjoy it.

Mission accomplished....

Happy Holidays!

Your "Fiat vs Zonda vs BMX" threads, your cr@ppy nick :), being suspected as an Alter Ego and blowing stuff out of proportion pointed to a troll, but I guess you're not.

If the MS6 is bettAr, so be it. I just hope Subaru kicks it up a notch next time around.

I keed I keeed

...I just hope Subaru kicks it up a notch next time around.

This would be nice, though all I want(ed) for Christmas was an '06 Obsidian Black Pearl LeggyGT Wagon with a STS MT and cloth seats! (Oh, and hold the 35 lb sunroof, thank you.) Try as he might, Santa still couldn't muster one up. :icon_frow Perhaps Santa saw fit to reward everyone at SoA with a lump of coal...

So, are the Spec B's braking numbers listed in the article? If so, what are they?

Braking 60-0 mph, 80-0 mph

Spec.B 136 ft, 234 ft.

MS6 122 ft, 217 ft.

Audi 2.0T S-Line 120 ft, 220 ft.

MS6 190.7

Spec.B 189.2

A4 2.0T 167.9

some of the other comparos...

evo IX vs. Charger SRT8

Porsche Cayman S vs. Lotus Exige

Honda Civic SI vs Supercharged Scion tC

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]