LegacyGT.com

What is this part?

Hi everyone.  I recently did head gaskets on my 2007 Legacy GT wagon.  I have one part that I have no idea where it came from.  Any ideas? I have looked through all the online subaru parts diagrams and I dont see it anywhere.  Any help is much appreciated.

20231019_220925.jpg

This is purely from memory but I’ve seen that before.   Looks like it may be the bracket that keeps the alternator clocked?

"Striving to better, oft we mar what's well." - Bill Shakespeare - car modder

I dont think it goes to the alternator.  I think you might be thinking on the lock nut on the pivot bolt.  It has tabs so the nut doesnt turn.  

This part is much bigger.  3-inches across by 3-inches the other way.  The tabs are about an inch long each.  I think it helps brace a pipe, or a hose or cable (the white clip on there).  But, I cant see anywhere it may have come from.   

Yeah, I dont see anywhere on the trans bellhousing or the timning cover where it could go.  But, I might be overlooking it.  I know it's probably not super critical, but it bugs me to have "extra parts" after a project.  The subie engineers thought it was a good idea to have it, otherwise they wouldnt have made the part.  

1 minute ago, silverton said:

I'm surprised that bolt broke at 13ft/lb.  that's only 5nm over spec.  13ftlb = 17nm, spec is 12nm.  just for the record subaru wants you to do two passes of 12nm starting at the top going clockwise, saabaru on the other hand wants one pass of 8nm and a second pass of 12nm.

Did you mean to post this to the broken water pump bolt thread by chance?

🤔

• Haha 1