LegacyGT.com

Gas smell, only when engine on

So, I started noticing the smell of gas in my 05 LGT last year.  It was VERY intermittent and only when the outside air was cool or cold (like below 10 C).  I hadn't been driving the car as much lately but in the past week - 2 weeks I have noticed the smell is present most drives now.  Just getting in the car, no smell.  It doesn't present itself until after the engine is started, and it takes about 10-15 seconds to start smelling.  About the same amount of time it idles before I move the car. 

My first thought is injector seals, does that seem realistic?  I have noticed my stutter/stumble has gotten a little worse, and sometimes the car is just downright grumpy and will run rough for a brief time (like 20 seconds) and then returns to normal.  I might attribute that to a failing FPR but I would guess it wouldn't give off fuel odour.....

So much to do to this car......  

No expert here, but a FPR can fail in the area of the diaphragm, and a hole there can allow fuel into the vacuum hose that is connected to your input manifold somehow.  I verified only this week that my Radium FPR is not expected to be airtight on the "dry" side of the diaphragm, so I suppose fuel smell could escape that way, if such a failure existed.

Oh, come on now, you new guys, this is a very old issue. Here's how I fixed mine many years ago.  I used lockwire and sealed the rubber fuel ends.  I guess you may try needle nose vise-grips and tighten that screw from the threads ends

DSCN4678.JPG

• Like 2

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

The other tip for rough running when it's cold outside, is to replace the small black o-rings at the intake to TGV's with the larger orange one's. But by now, I would think that has been done...unless someone from the south moved north to colder conditions. If you look, you should be able to see the color by looking at that joint. The o-rings have a tab that sticks out. I'll see if I have a picture...

Look for the orange tab in the upper left of photo. By that white plastic clip on intake runner.

DSCN4704.JPG

• Like 1

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

On 10/27/2023 at 9:22 AM, Max Capacity said:

Oh, come on now, you new guys, this is a very old issue. Here's how I fixed mine many years ago.  I used lockwire and sealed the rubber fuel ends.  I guess you may try needle nose vise-grips and tighten that screw from the threads ends

DSCN4678.JPG

Thanks for the tip and pic.  My only question is, where is this located?  Looks like the intake  in the middle right.....is this driver side toward the front of the engine?

14 minutes ago, GearJamr said:

Thanks for the tip and pic.  My only question is, where is this located?  Looks like the intake  in the middle right.....is this driver side toward the front of the engine?

Photo is drivers side. Oil fill tube is the giveaway… and crank pulley way off in the background.

2 hours ago, KZJonny said:

Photo is drivers side. Oil fill tube is the giveaway… and crank pulley way off in the background.

I see that in the 2nd pic.  First pic with the wires around the fuel lines is what I'm concerned with atm.

3 hours ago, GearJamr said:

I see that in the 2nd pic.  First pic with the wires around the fuel lines is what I'm concerned with atm.

Riiight. Sorry for stating the obvious.

1st photo is still driver's front. The big chonk on aluminium in the foreground is the AC compressor mounting bracket.

• Thanks 1

Took a look at this on the weekend, and as suspected, there is virtually no room to get tools in there, let alone hands without removing at least the a/c compressor.  Guess I will live with it for a little while.