LegacyGT.com

Grinding noise...

So... This might be impossible to answer, but again, there's a grinding noise coming from somewhere under my car under acceleration. It sounds like an aluminum can being ground up in the garbage disposal. Could also be a rusty old bearing somewhere as well. Now, I just looked at a diagram of the rear differential and there's quite a lot of bearings there... Yikes! There's a lot of places it could be coming from. 

I've almost ruled out the driveshaft itself, because it's only a few years old(Driveshaft Store) and when I try and move it, there's no play. But what else should I be looking for/looking at? I guess what I'm also trying to say, is there a painless way to inspect some things to figure out what's next? I can't imagine diving into the differential is easy, that replacing it or rebuilding it could be in order?

If you can ride in the backseat while someone drives the car...you can hear a lot of things from back there. The other tip, drove next to a large concrete wall. Something like at the end of a shopping plaza with the window down. Sound will bounce off the wall.

• Like 1

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here