LegacyGT.com

Kazera KZ-B with Blizzak LM-25 winter tires

just_phil

While it's recommended to use the narrowest possible tires for the winter, I prefer dry traction over show capabilities of the tire, since we only get snow a handful of days here in northern NJ.

If you are more concerned about overall fitment, I think a lot of folks here have already made that switch.

looks cool.

any reservations about going 225 instead of 215 oem size?

I'm running LM-25 215/45 - 17's on ASA JH-3 17X7.5 (48mm offset) and have about 12 mm clearance to the front springs. With 225's the clearance should still be OK, but might be reduced to 5-6 mm.

Re: traction:

Wider tires typically have less traction on snow than "narrow, high profile" designs, but the difference between a 215 and a 225 is really not much to worry about.

Rolling diameter:

215/45-17 (OEM size) LM-25's have an O.D, of 24.7 inches and turn 843 revs/mile.

225/45-17 LM-25's have an O.D. of 25.0 inches and turn 833 revs/mile.

Therfore, a car with the 225's will indicate a speedometer and odometer reading that's 1.2% LOW which is only 0.72 mph at 60 mph. As long as all (4) tires are the same size it should not be a problem. The only potential problem is if a flat occurs. Running any distance with the OEM spare (24.7 inch O.D.) could cause extra differential action (both on the center diff. and the one at the end with the mis-matched tires). This would not be good for the long term. Also, the ABS system would read the diifference in wheel revs. as a wheel slippage error and could false trigger to early resulting in less than ideal braking--not good.

Heavy Metal Killed Beethoven

Support Classical Music

thinner tires for better snow traction - they "cut" into the snow, and wider tires will "glide" (and slip) on the snow.

that's why rally cars use those skinny little tires in the snow.

http://www.torchiacom.com/rally/images_rally/queb3hi.jpg

thinner tires for better snow traction - they "cut" into the snow, and wider tires will "glide" (and slip) on the snow.

that's why rally cars use those skinny little tires in the snow.

What size are the tires in the picture you posted? There's no penetration apparent.

Does this mean that old Legacys (185/70x14) are better in snow than old Outbacks (205/70x15) and newer Outbacks?

More to the point, the owner's manual suggests 215 as some 225 width winter tires might have clearance problems. The Nokian RSI 225/55's I bought fit just fine. Nokian doesn't make a 215/55x17 RSI.

People have been saying this since I owned a 1969 SAAB with 165 section 15" rims. Yet tires, including snows, keep getting wider. Until I see a test, I don't believe it.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

Archived