LegacyGT.com

2005 saloon 2.0 162bhp clutch and flywheel.

Hi all, so I picked up a nice 2005 saloon with low mileage  a few weeks back, the problem I have is the previous owner stuffed a flywheel and clutch kit from a 1999 impreza wagon, 123BHP, so when ever I get the revs up around 6k and change its slow to disengage  and you can hear the clutch slip and feel it, I've talked to a few people and they all agree its slipping, 

I want to put in a lightened flywheel from https://id-workz.co.uk/ pn 2-738ST, I've crossed checked and would appear to fit but I'm at a loss as to which clutch kit would be best to fit, a standard OEM or an uprated one from a different scooby? I have the push clutch, this is my first venture down this road as I've been an alfa and Vauxhall GSI fan for many years,  

thanks for the help,

Had to look up what an "RE Saloon" was. Correct me if I am wrong, but that is a non-turbo, yes?

I also don't know if the original  flywheel in one of those is single or dual mass. If dual mass, I would probably suggest trying out a regular flywheel, rather than lightened, since it's a smaller jump, and lightened flywheels have certain disadvantages you might not like in practice, tho they make all the usual claims....

As far as clutch goes, OE Exedy is the recommendation around these parts for any NA manual Legacy. No need for anything more, it's just throwing money at what is not a problem. Improved shifting fun will be better acheived with a short shift kit, upgraded bushings, etc...

All that said, I don't know if any of that applies to your EDM spec 2.0L exactly, but I am pretty sure it would be about the same as the 2.5L NA cars we have here...

Hi KZ, yes it is a non turbo model, it had a DMF originally but was swapped out for the  impreza wagon set up which is a regular flywheel and 225mm clutch plate, the standard for my car would be a DMF and 230mm plate, with 5 speed trans, I'll be doing a few other mods down the line but as the clutch is slipping (after 20k) when I boot it best I start there, using the lightweight flywheel suites my driving style well so no probs there, but the my big question is will the OEM clutch which would be for the DMF setup work with a lightened flywheel?

IMG-20230704-WA0014.jpg

No. At least over here (again, EJ25 series engine) if you want to swap to a single mass, then we use an 08+ WRX flywheel and clutch setup.

I believe other options exist, but that is the usual/normal route.

I have an ‘08 WRX SMFW and a Spec stage 1 clutch for same. More then likely the appropriate WRX stock clutch or it’s equivalent would be more than enough, given you’ll not get anywhere near the torque or hp of the turbo models…

Might be worth investigating the stock clutch from any of the several other NA 2.5L models made that did not come from turbo cars? Could save a few dollars, although I doubt much. Stock WRX flywheels and clutches aren’t terribly expensive.