LegacyGT.com

power steering shudder after changing o-ring and bleeding pump

I was wondering if anyone else has ran into my specific issue, and rather or not they've found a fix. I have a 2013 Legacy 3.6r limited (82K miles) edition. I started noticing a slight whining/groaning sound at cold start-up that would mostly go away after warming up. The steering was otherwise perfect, as the car is low miles and has been maintained throughout its life. 

I heard about the o-ring issue and decided to swap it out. Afterwards, I lifted the cars front wheels to bleed the system, turning lock to lock with a vacuum pump applied to 20 in/hg. The power steering pump seemed to quiet down only a little, but was smooth lock to lock. I then test drove it and immediately felt a shuddering in the steering when turning at high or low speeds. I repeated the procedure at least 3 more times with no luck. There fluid is full and there are no bubbles. Also, when I applied the vacuum, it held with no variation and no visible leaks.

My question is: has anyone else had a steering wheel shudder after bleeding the system and problems getting the air completely out?

I have not had this problem, but I am just wondering, are you sure that all of the air is out? Is it possible that one of the supply hoses is cracked and letting air in? Could there be an issue with your o-ring install?

I am sure you got the air out initially, but more air could be getting in and I am about to replace my power steering hoses (and o-ring) because they are rock hard and likely starting to crack.

@motorbreathThanks for your reply. I'm not sure at all if I got all the air out. I think most people would've considered the power steering find, but I'm proactive and doin't like to wait until something breaks to fix it. So as soon as I heard the whine coming from the steering, I began researching. I initially read up about the o-ring, but didn't find out about replacing the hose and clamp as well until later. But I never had a car this difficult to bleed, so I was reaching out to other subaru heads for advice. 

When I first changed the o-ring, I wasn't confident in how the fitting was tightened. So I backed it out and sure enough, I damaged the o_ring. I went and bought 2 more at the local dealer. I was a lot more confident in the second install, as the fitting clicked right in place. Also, the system holds vacuum fine. 

I am beginning to suspect the old hose and clamp, as mine is rock hard with absolutely no give. (it looks brand new, however) It even still has the yellow marker on top from the factory.

I have the hose and clamp on order, and I'm not driving it until I'm sure all the air is out. I just hope I didn't damage anything in my efforts to bleed the system.

FYI

I initially read to place the system under vacuum, start the car and turn the wheels lock to lock. Then I found an article from SUBARU that says to NEVER run the power steering under vacuum as you can damage the seals. It Also says to NEVER start the car until all the air is out, because it will foam the fluid and make it impossible to bleed it.

@m sprank Thanks for your reply as well.

I'm sure there's still air in the system. But I literally bled it to death, and am wondering why it still has air. Now that I know about the hose and clam, I'm waiting on those parts in the mail.

I was just hoping I could find someone who went through the exact same issue so I could learn from them