LegacyGT.com

dealer said octance test strip read 85

just had the 30k service done. service guy said that they used an octane test strip and it came up saying there was 85 octane in it.

ever heard that before?

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

Why did they do that test? Where you having some sort of trouble?

X

brought it in for a check engine light. turns out there was a misfire on the fourth spark plug. yeah, never heard of that test before.

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

just had the 30k service done. service guy said that they used an octane test strip and it came up saying there was 85 octane in it.

ever heard that before?

Uhm... are you going to tell us what brand and advertised level of octane gas you last purchased before this test?

Without that information, I'd say this thread is pretty much worthless.

Uhm... are you going to tell us what brand and advertised level of octane gas you last purchased before this test?

Without that information, I'd say this thread is pretty much worthless.

not sure what you are getting at, but definitely know the difference between unleaded and supreme and which button to push to get it.

I used Exxon/Mobil 93octane this past MOnday.

I called bs too. think he was trying to see if I say "Oh sh!t dude! I filled up with the wrong gas!".

ALL the plugs were replaced in the 30k service, so we'll see if the code comes up again.

This sounded like BS to me, so i did some googling. You cannot test octane without a lab.

http://europeancarweb.com/tech/0503ec_techboost/

Kinda cool article explaining on all they went through to test the octane of octane 'boosters'

As far as the 'test strip' is concerned, there is such a thing as a fuel test strip. However it does not test octane. The fuel test strip is a polished piece of copper used to measure sulfur content by the corrosiveness

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

I don't know anything about test strips but I do know that in colder climate states some gas stations sell (more) oxygenated gas without changing a octane rating.

I've seen it in nyc and the notices are very easy to miss.

This sounded like BS to me, so i did some googling. You cannot test octane without a lab.

http://europeancarweb.com/tech/0503ec_techboost/

Kinda cool article explaining on all they went through to test the octane of octane 'boosters'

As far as the 'test strip' is concerned, there is such a thing as a fuel test strip. However it does not test octane. The fuel test strip is a polished piece of copper used to measure sulfur content by the corrosiveness

Maybe you didn't google hard enough.

These days you don't need a lab to accurately measure gasoline octane (as long as it isn't boosted with MMT or TEL). Most states have a Weights and Measures department which checks on gasoline pumps to make sure they're accurate as far as the volume dispensed and the octane labelling. 33 states have purchased the Mastrad Portable Octane Meter and it's also used by most fuel companies in their octane blending operations. It prints its results on a strip of paper (like that used in a cash register).

I don't know anything about test strips but I do know that in colder climate states some gas stations sell (more) oxygenated gas without changing a octane rating.

I've seen it in nyc and the notices are very easy to miss.

welcome to post 7 :icon_tong

Archived