LegacyGT.com

Cabin temperature varying from setpoint

Hi everyone, I recently purchased a Legacy GT limited. I love it. However, its now the 2nd day of ownership, and I've noticed that when the climated control system is in manual (non-auto), I have the AC at a particular setpoint, say 74 degrees, the air conditioner seems to throw out cool air at one moment, warmer air at another over the span of 10 seconds or so. Has anyone noticed this? Maybe I don't know how to work this thing, but I thought if it isn't in auto mode it would put out cool, cold, or colder air depending on the setpoint but not regulate it. Right now this is so annoying especially on a warmday to have warm air be thrown at you. Jman

Its doing two different things. It disengages the AC when you press the gas far enough, and it also cycles the AC when it reaches the temperature you set. The auto mode just also controls fan speed. If you're feeling warm air, then its because you're accelerating hard enough to disengage the AC. Its annoying, but you can try to be smoother with the gas pedal to prevent that. Ken

It sounds like the thermostat is working properly. You have set it at 74 degrees, so you get A/C until the cabin is at 74 degrees, then it cycles cooler and warmer air to keep it at that temperature. If you want cool air all the time, lower the temperature. 74 degrees is not very cool, btw...that is above room temperature. -Nick

[quote name='Ken']... If you're feeling warm air, then its because you're accelerating hard enough to disengage the AC. ... Ken[/quote] Not necessarily true. I've observed this behavior even while coasting, which leads me to believe that the system can't "mechanically" mix warm and cold air, but must cycle between the two in order to average the delivered air temperature at the setpoint.

Having noticed the same effect in a friend's WRX, I believe they are cycling the compressor all the time to reduce wear/tear and compressor overheating which tends to kill them. Even at idle, the compressor will cycle every 15-20 seconds which causes the idle to dip and the air to go from warm to cold and back.. The climate control probably alters the mix of warm/cold air, but once the compressor shuts off, the coil gets warm fast and there's only so much it can do (especially since the air has to be about 10 degrees colder than desired ambient to maintain a particulat temperature).

Typically auto climete control systems will have the comrpessor run all of the time (unless the outside temp is below 40 or so) and vary the temperature by adding heateed air That is why there is a switch for A/C, which is usually labeled "Econ", wo that you can turn the compressor off. When the compressor is running it will cycle on and off based on the pressure of the refrigerant, otherrwise the condensor would freeze up, which is bad :)

Hi everyone, All very good posts, but I'm coming from a Honda Civic where you just slide the dial to the left to make it colder. Even on the honda when I heard the compressor go on and off, I never felt a difference in the coldness of the air coming out. Isn't "Manual" mode just suppose to put out cool air and not regulate it? I thought thats what "Auto" mode was for. That's why I was setting it to 74 since the air coming out was cool enough for me, and I thought the temperature of the air would stay that way since it wasn't being regulated. Never thought jumping ahead from a 95 to 2005 would involve such a learning curve. jman

I sat in a Legacy GT (it was blocked in, so I couldn't take it for a spin. Already had 50 miles, though.) Anyway, I turned the ignition to run, and the AC blew VERY cold air. I started the engine to get the compressor going... This was a base GT, and it did have climate control (Regal blue, black cloth, 5mt) and in auto mode it cranked the fan WAY up. I am sure it wouldn't stay that way, but it was almost too loud to hold a conversation. It was a hot day, and the car had been sitting closed up. I hope the climate control would fade into the background when the temperature got closer to the indicated number.

It should be pretty balanced especailly if the car is warm. If the car has been sitting in the sun / snow for a period of time, it takes a while for the A/C to kick in and give the desired temp. I hardly ever use the A/C in winter, only a couple of bursts to make sure its all good for the Sunburnt Country Summer. The only other time I would use the A/C is when it has been raining and the car starts to fog up, hit the demister and the A/C will clear the mist in the same time as the takes the GT to hit 100 from standstill (61) for the US led boys :)

I wish one could set the histiresis on the temperature controls. When it is hot out, it is too cold in the car, and when it is cool out, turns on the heater and I'm too warm. Anything between 70 and 80 and I just want the vent, not air conditioning or heat.

[quote name='IwannaSportSedan'] I hope the climate control would fade into the background when the temperature got closer to the indicated number.[/quote] Yeas, it does. I like the emergency demister button. Hit it and the A/C comes on and windows clear up no time. Wish we had the auto-recycle detector some other cars have (eg, BMW). When they hit a dirty/dusty area, the climate control system automatically goes into recycle mode, then goes back to "fresh air" mode when past the dusty area.

Have not encountered this problem BUT that may be due to the fact that it has been around 90+ degrees every time I have driven the car with the air on. Only in the past two days has it been cool enough in the morning to drive around with the a/c off and the windows open. That's south Texas for you. :)

I have seen it change from open to recir. Happend when the car was sitting in the sun and hot before I started it. Blasted the AC with full fan ard recir on for a while before backing off the fan and switching back to external air.

Yes that is just to give the A/C unit a chance of catching up. When in the hot sun like that, if I have a few mins to spare, I will either open all the doors or windows with the fan on full, not the A/C. This helps to get rid of some of the built up heat inside the car and inside the A/C pipes. Once you get going, u can switch back to A/C and u should be all good. Adam.

Archived