LegacyGT.com

A/C Compressor Rebuid Kit?

So.... Searching around hasn't turned up much.

Anyone ever come across an AC compressor rebuild kit? Not that I can't just get a new one I suppose, but if I am going to go to the trouble of evacuating and drawing vacuum on the system, throwing in a new dissicant charge etc.... The compressor obviously works just fine, it blew icy cold air at me until in leaked all the coolant (and dye) all over itself.

I feel like if the internal seals/rings for the compressor can't be that hard to change, but I just need to find out where/if they're available. I mean, the rebuilders must get them somewhere??

Just kind of sounding it out. I've never owned a car with (functional) AC, so it would be neat to try out. But the cost of even a DIY repair with borrowed tools (I can use an HVAC buddies vacuum pump, storage tank and gauge set....) it's significant, so saving the ~$350 for a compressor would be nice.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

24 minutes ago, Max Capacity said:

I chased down quite a few of those links before asking, yeah... mainly for clutch rebuild kits.

https://www.apairinc.com/shopping/productDetails.aspx?i=128577&c=9960

This looks promising, but I think I might try to find a model number for our compressors first and ask them via email. See what I can figure out perhaps.

Just figured I would try the hivemind first and see if anyone else had been down this road before. There really can't be too much but some shaft seals and gaskets in the body of on of those things I would think, but I'm also ready to be wrong about that.

OEM never offered anything.  Aftermarket does not have corresponding part numbers as there is nothing to correspond to.  Tried to help a member in Europe with a Diesel engine wanting to rebuild his A/C clutch as well.  Best we came up with was a generic offering that listed the original OEM compressor part number as a "fit" even though the new assembly had a larger diameter. 

Its a scroll compressor, by the way.

2 hours ago, m sprank said:

OEM never offered anything.  Aftermarket does not have corresponding part numbers as there is nothing to correspond to.  Tried to help a member in Europe with a Diesel engine wanting to rebuild his A/C clutch as well.  Best we came up with was a generic offering that listed the original OEM compressor part number as a "fit" even though the new assembly had a larger diameter. 

Its a scroll compressor, by the way.

Well, I’ve got nothing to lose by having a go anyway.

Best case I can see what the gaskets and o-rings look like and try to match them. Worst case I have no joy and put it back together and send it away as a core.

It’s not exactly a priority item, but it would be nice having AC at some point in the future.