LegacyGT.com

2006 3.0r legacy wagon exaust

InfinX

Im looking at buying a 2006 subaru legacy ez30 it has just over 180 thousand ks its in good condition. What are the main things i should be looking for and asking to make sure its okay. Its at a very good price about 30% under average price the guy said the timing chain tensioner is worn out and is making a whining sound and would be about 300$ to fix, does that sound right apart from that what else should i looking out for before buying?

$300 for just the parts, sounds about right. It’s a pretty big job in those engines, as far as I am aware.

Doable for sure, but requires a good set of tools and some know how.

If you’re not a reasonably experienced home mechanic count on a lot more money than that for labour and markup on parts.

PS - No need to write everything in bold.

Edited by KZJonny

The EZ30's timing chain cover is held on by a jillion hex bolts, depending on where you live they may still be in good condition, or they'll be rusted enough you may think you grabbed the wrong hex size.

Oh now that's BIZARRE.  Alldata does not show the EZ30 as an engine option for the 2006 and 2007 legacy.  2005 and 2008 got it though!  for the 2005 it claims to be a 3 hour job, so expect it to take you double or more if you're green with wrenching.  There are three different length bolts in the cover, do not mix them up or you will damage the engine.

ez30chaincover.PNG

Edited by silverton

1 hour ago, InfinX said:

Im looking at buying a 2006 subaru legacy ez30 it has just over 180 thousand ks its in good condition. What are the main things i should be looking for and asking to make sure its okay. Its at a very good price about 30% under average price the guy said the timing chain tensioner is worn out and is making a whining sound and would be about 300$ to fix, does that sound right apart from that what else should i looking out for before buying?

Where are you located?