LegacyGT.com

1995 Legacy- Brakes (feels like rears) stuck on when car is running. Any ideas?

After doing an engine removal/reinstall on my '95, the brakes are stuck on, but only when the car is running. When it's off and you take the vacuum pressure out of the system (pumping the brake pedal), it rolls without any issues.

I thought it was the hill holder, but that's definitely not the issue, and the fact that the brakes work as normal when the car is off says says that it's something to do with the power assist.

I'm stumped on what exactly the problem could be though as I didn't touch anything related to the brake system when I took the engine out of the car. Any advice on how to fix this (or bypass the vacuum system) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Last time I had my engine out I couldn't get the hill holder to behave even though I followed the manual on it.  I learned without one, so I pinned it wide open and fagedaboutit.

But since you are sure that isn't it I +1 to the booster vacuum line.  Try running with it removed and capped at the manifold.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, doublechaz said:

Try running with it removed and capped at the manifold.

Any recommendations for how to cap it off and would I need to cap both the manifold and the booster?

Yes, you would need to cap both.  As the brakes will not work properly without the booster I would not try this at anything other than LOW speed in an open environment.  It would seem smarter to trace the hose back to the manifold and verify via the FSM. 

59 minutes ago, m sprank said:

Wow. Thats a bad coincidence. Pooh happens. Glad you figured it out. 

I’m definitely happy to know what the problem is now. I thought for a brief moment that I had fixed it, but then I went for a drive on some local back roads and they stuck on half way up a hill. Had to walk home to get some supplies to break it loose enough to limp it back to my house in a big ol’ cloud of brake and clutch smoke. 

• Like 1

left front and right rear are one brake channel, right front and left rear are the other.  If your vehicle has a hill holder, that is what I would suspect as it operates on the left front and right rear channel.  If that's not the case, then it is the ABS pump if you have one.

Edited by silverton
  • Like 2

As an aside, I fucked up the diagnosis of a failed hill holder, just like you have probably determined, as far as I could tell there was nothing wrong with and it moved like normal on the rack and my short test drive around the block didn't duplicate it, but the cable had failed internally... old as shit so the lubrication was dry and eventually the cable would get hot inside the sheath and seize the holder in the hold position.  It would take quite a few actuations of the clutch pedal for it to finally cause the trouble symptom.  You should have seen the color of those rotors when the customer came back... yeeeeeesh. COOKED.

Wonder if I took pictures...the blue was prettttty

• Like 2

11 hours ago, silverton said:

If your vehicle has a hill holder, that is what I would suspect as it operates on the left front and right rear channel

It does have one, but the cable has been disconnected. 

In terms of the ABS pump, I pulled the fuse to disable it because it was hyper sensitive and would just kick on randomly.