LegacyGT.com

2005 Legacy GT: Time for a First Engine Rebuild?

31 minutes ago, kzr750r1 said:

Just a tip from recent experience.

Get a Fluidampner. Stat. PN: 531101

Worth every penny.

Damn, it’s really worth it huh? I looked into this a bit and the people who run a Fluidampr swear by them and then a lot of people also seem to be just fine with a lightweight crank pulley.

I went with a lightweight pulley from Perrin this go around because it seemed like with how these motors are built there wasn’t as much of a need for a dampener.

Made a difference for me. I've heard more so for folks with a MT.

Sell the Perrin or see if you can return it... Or go stock. Heck I'd even give you this last stock unit I just pulled off to not use the Perrin.  Only has 10 to 12K on it.

I too hesitated because of the cost. But it's worth it.

Yeah....buttery smooth idle and helped to calm down chattering and juddering on low RPM shifts in stop and go traffic.

I still need to install the single mass flywheel and new clutch I have, so I can't say how it will feel then, but I am willing to bet even better.

I'm not really a fan of lightweight crank pulleys in any case, but I may have a bias there. I don't always like having to slam shift every gear to keep the RPMs from dropping. In  a racecar, maybe, sure. But even then.... I think I've ruined a thing for myself by installing a Fluidampr pulley. I'll probably need to have one on any of my high performance cars from now on....

Interestingly, Get a Dom Tune sells a heavier than stock crank pulley for these engines, for sort of the same reasons as the Fluidampr exists, better damping of the engines native vibration... Yeah, there isn't MUCH because it's a horizontally opposed engine, but there are some secondary forces at play, and not every crankshaft is blueprint balanced, etc...

Ahhh. Just read this on his website. Interesting concept. Allowing for some options.

Fluidampner was roughly 12oz heavier than the stock unit sitting on my kitchen counter.

Funny that as the (previously astronomical) price has risen the Fluidamper gets more love now.  It used to be like selling a root canal with no pain meds.  Customers thought I was insane for installing one on my Forester. 

Edited by m sprank
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, emosley210 said:

You talking about the light enough crank pulley from him? I hadn't looked into that before but it seems pretty rad, especially with that bolt on viscous damper for it

Yes. That one. I didn’t notice it until after I’d installed my own Fluidampr, but you’ve got options anyway. I didn’t look at the price difference, but I’m sure neither is cheap.

If you daily the car and enjoy smooth shifts etc… and maximum effort acceleration isn’t your goal, I don’t think you’ll like the lightweight pulley. I’m with @kzr750r1 on this one, where I’d go new OE before the Perrin, personally.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Took you guys advice and ditched the lw crank pulley. Picked up one from Get A Dom Tune and can’t wait to put it on. He forgot to ship my order so he threw in a rad oil cap with it 🤘🏼 

72FDB35D-D0F4-4F6E-B750-81D14699F91D.jpeg

C9C328A2-DAB6-48F2-81DD-8B1EBF03E8B4.jpeg

• Like 2

Other than that I’m finally getting around to timing and doing a healthy dose of overthinking. I replaced the back covers because they cracked and noticed the new one doesn’t have this guide around the bottom corner. 

I feel like it’s not a huge deal but it seems like it could help it from jumping time. 

Picking up some bolt grommets and foam gaskets for the rear timing covers tomorrow because neither the master gasket kit or the timing kit has those. Then hopefully jumping into timing and doing my best not to fuck it up 🤞 

C6D621E4-7C0B-4DA5-8A6D-AA6CB2EDEA22.jpeg

7D190FA8-80B3-4A79-918D-F96E47E9E7E4.jpeg

• Like 1

Take your time. Prep the tensioner vertically as described in the manual/instructions. Slowly.

Last round I did it twice. Was pretty sure one pulley jumped a tooth. In the end all good.

• Thanks 1