LegacyGT.com

Parts Diagram for Valve on the Back of the Intake Manifold

3 minutes ago, m sprank said:

Could not afford to warranty the labor using "auto parts store" parts.  Lifetime warranty with free replacements on the parts sounds great until you have to keep replacing them for free. 

The price difference between the RockAuto master cylinder and the Subaru master cylinder was insignificant.  Maybe a 20% premium for Subaru.  Well worth not having to do the job again.

However, this was bought months ago when the RockAuto master cylinder was in stock and ready to ship.  I had been waiting 3-5 weeks for each Subaru parts order I submitted at the time.  Fortunately, it seems supply chain problems are subsiding as almost all of my Subaru orders are ready for pickup within a week.

In a pinch you do what you have to do.  There was a time when auto parts stores sold good, reliable parts.  There was even a hierarchy of quality with NAPA normally being on top.  You could call around town and get 5 different prices on a set of brake pad from 5 different stores.  Unfortunately those days are gone.  OEM tends to be the best quality, by far, for most parts. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, m sprank said:

In a pinch you do what you have to do.  There was a time when auto parts stores sold good, reliable parts.  There was even a hierarchy of quality with NAPA normally being on top.  You could call around town and get 5 different prices on a set of brake pad from 5 different stores.  Unfortunately those days are gone.  OEM tends to be the best quality, by far, for most parts. 

I ran into this problem last year with my 335i's engine that self-ventilated through the bottom and took out the steering rack at VIR.

We went through 2 used engines that were complete junk before we decided to buy a new N55 from BMW.  Only then was it good to go.

This experience will also affect the make/model of vehicle that I purchase next.  At this point, I'm only considering domestic brands because when you have a catastrophic powertrain failure, only their replacement part costs are low enough that it wouldn't be worth my time dealing with the hassle of a used engine/transmission.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...