LegacyGT.com

SQ - Cleansweep vs. AM HU, $ 4 $

SkiDaddy

Hey guys, I'm trying to get the best sound possible in my LGT for $1400 or so, and realize that the best speakers/amps/wires/etc. won't be their best w/out a good, clean, flat input source. I'm going to use Focal 6.5 components in front, a single JL sub in a sealed enclosure, and JL amps. This will give me a solid foundation that can be expanded on in the future. My question now is what to do for a source.

To give you an idea of my perception of imaging quality, last year I was at Car Toys and listened to an Eclipse HU w/24 bit DACs; I heard a clear difference in imaging between that and Eclipse's 16 bit DAC HU. This was on a guitar solo track and a few other tracks from the Trans-Siberian Orchestra CD "Christmas Eve and Other Stories". It's what I had with me at the time. :icon_tong

Having said that, dollar for dollar (same purchased price) what would give me the best SQ; stock HU w/Cleansweep, or cubby bezel w/AM HU? I can live with the looks of a cubby install. :icon_roll

Any opinions and suggestions for an AM HU would be appreciated. Thanks. :icon_cool

I realize I am not an unbiased reviewer, but I can tell you that the SQ of the CleanSweep corrected OEM head unit is absolutely excellent. I have used high-end head units in all my previous cars (Sony CDX-C90's and the like) and honestly there is no sacrifice in quality between these and the OEM+CleanSweep. My wagon is a serious sound quality car and I compared the OEM+CleanSweep to a Pioneer aftermarket unit (hosed in through the CleanSweep's aux input) and there was no audible difference in freq. response, distortion or noise.

The only thing you really give up is some of the feature-functionality that a typical AM head unit has.

Best regards, and let me know if you have any other questions.

Manville Smith

JL Audio, Inc.

the only real difference would be the features the headunit would offer...... such as a subwoofer level control, eq functions, mp3 playback in the unit. the lack of a sub level control when using the cleansweep can be countered if you have/choose to use an amp that has a remote gain control that you can place up front somewhere. you could counter no mp3 by adding an ipod or something similar. if it was between using a cleansweep or putting a deck in the cubby, id go cleansweep all day long. MUCH easier installation, and IMO, much better look. i think it looks kinda retarded to have 2 headunits in the dash, but thats just me.

Well, the CleanSweep does not pull the info off the disc, the OEM head unit does and performs the D/A conversion... the CleanSweep takes the OEM head unit's analog outputs, converts them to 24-bit digital, processes them digitally, then converts them back to analog at its outputs.

I can't hear a difference between the Cleansweep/OEM combo and a high-quality aftermarket head unit in the LGT.

OK, that sounds (no pun intended:icon_bigg) pretty convincing.

I assume the cleansweep would best be installed in the front of the car, somewhere above the passengers feet. Is there a (shielded?) cable available from somewhere with connectors already attached that will plug into the cleansweep on one end and the JL amp on the other? How about connecting trhe cleansweep to the OEM headunit; is there a ready made connector, or is this my justification for a new soldering iron? :icon_lol:

Thanks for all the help so far Manville.:icon_cool

OK, that sounds (no pun intended:icon_bigg) pretty convincing.

I assume the cleansweep would best be installed in the front of the car, somewhere above the passengers feet. Is there a (shielded?) cable available from somewhere with connectors already attached that will plug into the cleansweep on one end and the JL amp on the other? How about connecting trhe cleansweep to the OEM headunit; is there a ready made connector, or is this my justification for a new soldering iron? :icon_lol:

Thanks for all the help so far Manville.:icon_cool

You can mount the CleanSweep anywhere you want without worrying about noise... just twist each channel pair of wires (regular hook-up wire works fine). The differential-balanced inputs of the CleanSweep are highly immune to noise. The outputs of the CleanSweep are standard RCA jacks so you just use good quality RCA cables from the CS to the amplifier(s).

It will fit under either front seat or in the back next to the amps (that's where mine is). It might be able to be shoehorned below the OEM head unit but it's tight there (I mounted my XM receiver box there).

Worth it. Go to your local dealer and pick one up if you are interested in great sound. There is no product like it on the market.

Bill

I gather, after searching a lot, that it's $350-400. Add a VDC head unit to get MP3, an XM commander, an amp, new speakers ... $1500+ not including install labor. At least it solves the problem of 2 radios, and the cubby is free for my extra pocket lint (provided the XM replaces the ashtray).

i got a top of the line Blaupunkt Bremen for $400. it sounds incredible, has two AUX inputs, matches the interior lighting, has a steering wheel remote, and does a lot more than the Cleansweep will.

the Cleansweep is a good product, but if you're willing to give up the cubby, there are better options.

I understand your sentiments, but you will be hard-pressed to find electronics made in the USA at a reasonable price. Even when they are assembled in the U.S. most, if not all of the parts will come from Asia, anyway.

I understand your sentiments, but you will be hard-pressed to find electronics made in the USA at a reasonable price. Even when they are assembled in the U.S. most, if not all of the parts will come from Asia, anyway.

Isn't Audiocontrol stuff still made in the USA? Anyway, I have a problem specifically with China. Yeah, it's getting impossible to avoid Chinese goods. Believe it or not, I do look at country of origin labels and they do influence my purchasing decisions. And I don't shop at Wal-Mart. I better stop now before this thread degenerates into an off-topic flamewar... :D

Isn't Audiocontrol stuff still made in the USA? Anyway, I have a problem specifically with China. Yeah, it's getting impossible to avoid Chinese goods. Believe it or not, I do look at country of origin labels and they do influence my purchasing decisions. And I don't shop at Wal-Mart. I better stop now before this thread degenerates into an off-topic flamewar... :D

+1

Why I bought 2 12w0's instead of 12w1's... Unless I'm mistaken I think the w0s were made here and the w1's aren't. I could be wrong.

/on Topic!

I'd definately buy a headunit... i think the cleansweep is a great idea, but I have an alpine head unit... and i use the stock headunit as a 6 disc changer... Couldn't be happier. If you don't mind giving up the cubby there's really no choice.

I don't really want to give up the cubby. I like the storage, but I might also want to put some gauges there later. At the moment I am leaning toward adapting the factory HU, adding aftermarket XM in the ashtray, and possibly upgrading the HU to the VDC version later. Of course, there is also the possibility that a SAT-enabled head unit will appear for '07... Hahaha, wishful thinking, surely. I'd love to be a fly on the wall at some SIA meetings.

I don't really want to give up the cubby. I like the storage, but I might also want to put some gauges there later. At the moment I am leaning toward adapting the factory HU, adding aftermarket XM in the ashtray, and possibly upgrading the HU to the VDC version later. Of course, there is also the possibility that a SAT-enabled head unit will appear for '07... Hahaha, wishful thinking, surely. I'd love to be a fly on the wall at some SIA meetings.

the JDM/Euro armrest extension more than makes up for the cubby storage.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/Landshark/27225.JPG

how much is the VDC HU? like $800? ...and you still have no AUX inputs/lineout/sub level control/etc. i just think that's really a waste o' money, but its your money.....

the JDM/Euro armrest extension more than makes up for the cubby storage.

At the risk of sounding like a p*ssy ... I have an old elbow injury and I pretty much have to keep my elbow off things like armrests. In my Passat, I keep the armrest pivoted up all the time so I don't have the chance to use it. Otherwise I'll catch myself leaving my arm on it after I shift gears. My office chair doesn't have armrests.

Anyway, my concern with the armrest extension is that it'll put the thing right where my elbow is going to land on it whenever I shift gears. I'd have to see one in person to make that call.

I agree the VDC unit is expensive, although it's more like $550. I've spent more than that on aftermarket head units. It accomplishes the goal of adding MP3 capability. The aux input for XM comes from the Cleansweep.

While I'm ranting, it would be nice if someone had an aftermarket XM add-on tuner that could also accept an HD radio tuner module!

Why I bought 2 12w0's instead of 12w1's... Unless I'm mistaken I think the w0s were made here and the w1's aren't. I could be wrong.

/on Topic!

I'd definately buy a headunit... i think the cleansweep is a great idea, but I have an alpine head unit... and i use the stock headunit as a 6 disc changer... Couldn't be happier. If you don't mind giving up the cubby there's really no choice.

Do you mean you have signals from the OEM 6 CD changer feeding into the Alpine? I thought a big part of the reason for going AM was to get better CD sound.

Do you mean you have signals from the OEM 6 CD changer feeding into the Alpine? I thought a big part of the reason for going AM was to get better CD sound.

You can get passive speaker-to-line level converters for just a few bucks. I used one in my E36 BMW to run a cheap aftermarket headunit into the factory amplifier. The point of the AM is to undo the weird EQ circuits found in many (but not all) factory head units...and to provide a way to hook in an auxillary input.

Archived