LegacyGT.com

Small Coolant Leak seems by TMIC

My 09 LGT has a very small coolant leak somewhere that I have not figured out yet.  I can't see a leak anywhere but most times when I get the car back from a drive into the shop after a minute or five I can smell it.  What coolant lines or other things are under the lower left corner of the TMIC? This seems likely where it is as the smell seems to be strongest around here.

image.thumb.png.27c566b0093cee22392ce6237dee3043.png

There is a lower coolant hose attached to your turbo, very hard to get to without removing the downpipe and pulling the turbo off.  You can pull up your coolant reservoir to the left of your arrow and see if there are any leaks in any of the lines or even a crack in the reservoir.  You may need to squeeze the lines as it may be a pin hole leak or cracked line which only sprays when there is increased pressure/load on the system.

#LGTSTi is still cheaper and nicer then an equal year wrxsti

Follow my 2007 Spec B. Build here

• 1 month later...

Finally got my 09 LGT coolant leak fixed.  Turned out it was a tiny leak at the top radiator hose connection to the engine.  My bad the hose clamp was partially over the AL neck rib/bump.  Took 3+ years to start leaking.  Anyways, I did replace the three smaller hoses around the turbo as well.  The one down on the side with the heat shield was hard to get a pliers on the bottom clamp not much room there between the valve cover and subframe.  Long nose bent needle nose pliers did the trick.  I'm leaving the bottom cover off for a bit to drive it in spring rain and clean off the blue coolant that seems to be everywhere on the bottom of the engine.  While my car has been out of commission I've been driving my mom's 06 3.0R Outback sedan which I kinda prefer over the LGT.  Same generation legacy/outback but the engines and transmissions are worlds different.  3.0 H6 is so smooth and the older 5EAT shifts nice and firmly

• Like 3

16 hours ago, 59ctd said:

Finally got my 09 LGT coolant leak fixed.  Turned out it was a tiny leak at the top radiator hose connection to the engine.  My bad the hose clamp was partially over the AL neck rib/bump.  Took 3+ years to start leaking.  Anyways, I did replace the three smaller hoses around the turbo as well.  The one down on the side with the heat shield was hard to get a pliers on the bottom clamp not much room there between the valve cover and subframe.  Long nose bent needle nose pliers did the trick.  I'm leaving the bottom cover off for a bit to drive it in spring rain and clean off the blue coolant that seems to be everywhere on the bottom of the engine.  While my car has been out of commission I've been driving my mom's 06 3.0R Outback sedan which I kinda prefer over the LGT.  Same generation legacy/outback but the engines and transmissions are worlds different.  3.0 H6 is so smooth and the older 5EAT shifts nice and firmly

@59ctdNice work! How difficult was hose #3 from the expansion tank? I should address that sometime before the summer. 

3 hours ago, cheeseenlo said:

@59ctdNice work! How difficult was hose #3 from the expansion tank? I should address that sometime before the summer. 

Hose #3 was a tricky one but it is certainly doable without disassembling everything.  Obviously the expansion tank needs to come off.  I used a set of 11" long needle nose pliers.  I bought a set that has straight, 45* and 90* angled ends and the 90* one was the ticket to get to the hose clamp down in front of the TMIC.

• Like 1