LegacyGT.com

Tips for fitting Mardrig's carbon fiber intake snorkel w/ Cobb SF intake

Many of you may know him on here, Madrid makes incredible carbon fiber engine trim pieces. I recently finished the entire set with the carbon air intake snorkel. 

I'm having an issue with fitment however and wondering if anyone has ran into the same issue. My hood will no longer latch closed because the backside of the snorkel is sitting too high, and it's being held up by the intake lid. See photos for reference. The area circled in red seems to be the root of the issue. 

It would appear the only way to fix this is to lower the entire air intake box by 1/4"-1/2" but I'm not seeing how that's possible, or at least easily so. Curious if anyone has run into this and found a work aroundIMG_1294.thumb.jpeg.17a76b14528fda82f1429965a2e2d976.jpegIMG_1283.thumb.jpeg.c595e157dc99ba7d3d9d9ecac32ae5f7.jpeg

I found a picture from another member with a similar setup (click the top link): 

It looks like the snorkel might not be all the way into the box?  The angles on your snorkel are a little different, and it looks like it should be able to rotate clockwise a few degrees and align better (which may hopefully help with the hood closing. I personally have a different setup, so not 100% sure, but that's what I think might be happening.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Underdog said:

Wow you really went all in on the CF! Looks awesome - very clean engine bay. 

I don’t have any pointers on how to improve fitment of the snorkel, but maybe installing hood struts and removing the prop rod would be an option?

That's a great idea, it does seem the hood prop is part of the issue. Thanks! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Infosecdad said:

I found a picture from another member with a similar setup (click the top link): 

It looks like the snorkel might not be all the way into the box?  The angles on your snorkel are a little different, and it looks like it should be able to rotate clockwise a few degrees and align better (which may hopefully help with the hood closing. I personally have a different setup, so not 100% sure, but that's what I think might be happening.

Thanks for the link. I've tried just about everything I can to finagle it into place but can't seem to get it. It does need to seat just a bit further, which would allow it to twist and align better. The air box lid is preventing that from happening. 

• Like 1

@Bruski04 I found this thread after I responded to your PM. I'd also agree with what @Infosecdad about the positioning/angles. Another thought/question is how far back does your radiator shroud go? I'm curious if the rear lip of the shroud is potentially sitting past the back of the radiator support and preventing the snorkel from angling down more. I'll still grab those pic's for you when I get home tonight.

I have you're exact same setup with only 2 differences:

1. I haven't fitted my CF radiator shroud with the snorkel yet, but mine is slightly different from yours as Madrig makes a few versions.

2. The S402 fenders I have on my car don't have the mounting point for the hood prop like the USDM versions and I've got hood struts. 

Edited by DoctorDaveLGT
  • Like 1

Pic's of mine. It's a little hard to tell where exactly your snorkel and shroud overlap but it kinda looks like the snorkel fastener hole there is just off slightly. Would also explain why your snorkel overlaps more with the radiator support beam in the upper left corner (position ref pic #1). First time I noticed I actually have some slight rub in that corner on my snorkel.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

• Like 2

Wasn't that was thrown around previously with @madrig about re-creating/tweaking the SYMS version. I want to say it came down to him needing one for a mold/starting point but can't remember exactly. I'm sure cost is a factor as always.

https://www.croooober.com/en/item/cparts/00000181/Air-Filters/3991529/SYMS-Air-Induction-Box-For-Legacy-BP-BL

• Like 1

On 2/7/2023 at 5:18 PM, DoctorDaveLGT said:

Pic's of mine. It's a little hard to tell where exactly your snorkel and shroud overlap but it kinda looks like the snorkel fastener hole there is just off slightly. Would also explain why your snorkel overlaps more with the radiator support beam in the upper left corner (position ref pic #1). First time I noticed I actually have some slight rub in that corner on my snorkel.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Awesome, thanks for sending the pics. I'll mess around with it this weekend, I should also have my hood struts by then. 

• Like 1

im sure this can be adjusted , but i have no knowledge of the install for this airbox . i see other succeed on the install . from what i see the air box is sitting higher since you had to cut the top plate to clear the rod mounting on the fender . all other i saw are under this mounting and are parallel with the abs cover .

i never realized  because nobody had problem before but the snorkel could be trimmed different by myself when it is for the cobb ait bob . unfortunately i dont have this air box to test fit

777777777777777777777777777.jpg

99999999999999999999999999999999999.jpg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, madrig said:

im sure this can be adjusted , but i have no knowledge of the install for this airbox . i see other succeed on the install . from what i see the air box is sitting higher since you had to cut the top plate to clear the rod mounting on the fender . all other i saw are under this mounting and are parallel with the abs cover .

i never realized  because nobody had problem before but the snorkel could be trimmed different by myself when it is for the cobb ait bob . unfortunately i dont have this air box to test fit

777777777777777777777777777.jpg

99999999999999999999999999999999999.jpg

I had some luck this weekend. I had to grind down the back edge of the snorkel where it sits on the air box lid. The other issue was the bolt head for the radiator bushing. See in the photo, it's preventing the snorkel from sitting flush. I removed the bolt and used zip-ties. IMG_1421.thumb.jpeg.0435abe31edfbaf55a873f766bb9d7d4.jpeg

IMG_1420.jpeg

IMG_1417.jpeg

• Like 3