LegacyGT.com

nothing works

ginblossoms

ok, so i go to the garage to take my legacy to work this morning, but nothing happens... i try to disarm the alarm... nothing. i unlock the door manually... the alarm should go off, right? well, it doesn't. i put the key in the ignition... nothing... no lights on the instrument panel... nothing.

i certainly am no car expert, so i post this here... what is wrong? obviously something electrical...

luckily, i have my backup car to go to work with...

check on top of the steering column..there is a switch up there for parking lights that does not shut off if you turn the car off like the others do. a lot of people hit it while cleaning the car. that would be the first thing..also check all of your dome lights and such.

it usually turns out to be that parking light switch on top of the steering column though

You mean leaving the parking light on drains the battery right? Not leaving it on does not let you turn on your car?

X

---

You mean leaving the parking light on drains the battery right? Not leaving it on does not let you turn on your car?

X

yes, leaving that parking like on that is on top of the steering column will drain the battery. If you leave it on accidentally overnight, it will give you a dead battery...happens all the time. The service dept gets 5 calls a day with someone that has done that.

As said its for illumination on dark narrow streets in Europe that have no overhead lamps. When i was in Switzerland I believe it was only for cars parked temporarily in unlit spots.

Its wierd that Subaru didn't eliminate the switch and cover it up with a plastic cap or something. Mercedes and other manufacturers eliminated the ability to turn on the parking lights on their US models completely.

As said its for illumination on dark narrow streets in Europe that have no overhead lamps. When i was in Switzerland I believe it was only for cars parked temporarily in unlit spots.

Its wierd that Subaru didn't eliminate the switch and cover it up with a plastic cap or something. Mercedes and other manufacturers eliminated the ability to turn on the parking lights on their US models completely.

au contraire mo friar!

I typically see people who euro cars that dont know what this switch does and have it on, most usually in the one side setting where the light is brighter on the left or right side.

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

it's for the europeans and their "road side parking" in foggy areas so that other drivers dont run into their cars.

Exactly and as a moved European I LOVE the parking light switch... -- sorry for your battery though...

Update? :confused:

hehe... sorry guys... i checked the parking light thing, but i think it was off. the front part of the switch was depressed, making the red bar not visible... i think that means it wasn't left on.

it's going to the dealer this wednesday morning (12/21/05). good thing i got that roadside assistance thing to help with the towing costs...

i don't think it would matter, but just recently, i had a parking lot incident where my back bumper was dinged up, but i figure there's no way that could have anything with my current situation. ???

ok, so the towing people come and started the car via jumper cables. so since i didn't need a tow, i didn't get a tow. i didn't have a ride back from the dealer, so i just rescheduled my service appointment. the towing guy said it's fairly common among new vehicles to just have bad batteries (from sitting around alot). i'm not so sure about this, considering my car was made in june and bought in august of this year (2005). anyways, if anyone was interested in this, my appointment is now for friday morning (12/23/2005).

i jump start my car this morning to go to the dealers. they run some tests and say the charging system & battery is working fine. they said that long stretches of not driving the car would drain the battery, citing 4 computers in the car. it had been sittle idle for 4 days when i originally found the problem. before that, it was a couple weeks. if it happens again, they said they'd replace the battery.

i did a voltmeter check of the battery while it was drained, and it was reading 0.3V... i asked if that was plausible, and they said that it was...

If you leave it parked for great stretches, do yourself a favor and replace it with an Optima red top battery. $110 or, but due to the design, it will hold a charge for 12-18 months and won't leave you stranded.

Archived