LegacyGT.com

Best oil for topping off?

So, I typically use Motul XCess 8100 Gen2 5w40. I’m a little ways away from doing an oil change. What oil can I add for just topping off, that’s compatible and readily available at the local big box auto parts store?

Someone recommended to me at the autozone Mobil European formula 5w40. So I put that in, now I need to get another quart just to be on the safe side. Should I track down another quart of that? Or doesn’t it matter at this point? Did I screw it up and should I do an oil change with the Motul? 
sorry, maybe I’m overthinking it. Thanks 

Yeah, I would just get another qt of the Mobil.  Oil is oil, What are you doing for normal oil change intervals ? 

I just buy Amsoil 5w-40 by the case and their EA15k13 filters 6 at a time. Do the 7-8000 mile oil changes. Blackstone Labs will tell you how good that oil after 7000 miles. 

If you have the Motul on hand...

• Thanks 1

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

2 hours ago, Max Capacity said:

Yeah, I would just get another qt of the Mobil.  Oil is oil, What are you doing for normal oil change intervals ? 

I just buy Amsoil 5w-40 by the case and their EA15k13 filters 6 at a time. Do the 7-8000 mile oil changes. Blackstone Labs will tell you how good that oil after 7000 miles. 

If you have the Motul on hand...

I usually want to change it somewhere between 3K and 6k. I get a bit worried after 3K because I don’t delete those banjo filters, I replace them. I’m not sure if that worry is justified or not? I’m also not opposed to waiting longer…

You’re fine to top off with anything decent, doesn’t HAVE to be the same weight even IMO. I’ve done it plenty. Being full is more important.

Also the owner previous to me had the banjo bolt replaced instead of discarded on my car, but that was +10yrs ago and almost 90k miles. I wouldn’t worry about the banjo bolt if you’ve replaced it, although I’m strict at 3K-3.5k mile oil change intervals. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...