LegacyGT.com

What is this noise?!?!!?

I know the audio in the video isn't the best but you can kind of hear what's going on right as the engine fires up each time.

I can only describe it as a screeching hiss that lasts about one second. Once the engine is running there are no other odd noises.

It started doing this about a month ago but only on really cold mornings and only on the first startup.  Once the engine got some heat in it it wouldn't do it again.  It's been cold in the mornings so it's been doing it almost every morning when I first fire it up lately.

Today I *FINALLY* had some time to work on the car so decided to change the oil and try adjusting the belt tension in case the noise was related to loose belts.  After changing the oil and adjusting belt tension it now does it every time, even after the engine warms up.  I tried loosening the belts back up and that didn't change anything.  I ran out of time or I'd have tried taking the belts off to see if it's one of the belt driven components that's doing it so I'll give that a try tomorrow.

Has anyone heard this kind of noise before and can give me a clue?  I'm guessing it's not anything too terrible since the engine seems to run fine otherwise and the oil that came out of it looked fine.  I'll cut the filter open tomorrow and have a look at that too but I can't imagine it's something internal...???

Thanks for any clues!

2 hours ago, silverton said:

It's the secondary air pump if you still have one.

Thanks,  but I don't believe that's present any more.  Pretty sure that was removed during the mod process. 

I assume it's accessory belt driven?  The only pulleys I saw were the crank pulley,  PS, alternator, AC, and idler/ tensioner for the AC.

The starters have been known to make a noise after a cold start when it needs to be greased. There's a sticky about fixing it. If your car is a 05, it does not have the air pump that 07-09's have. My Spec makes a noise after start up but the air pump only runs for a few seconds.

• Like 1

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Had to listen carefully, but I second the opinions that it’s the starter. Or at least I’d start there.

It’s easy to access and worst case, you end up with a newly lubricated and serviced starter….

Doesn’t sound like an accessory belt/bearing problem to me.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TMBLKDG said:

Thanks Max!  I'll look for that thread.   It's gone back to only doing it on cold starts which makes troubleshooting quite difficult. 

Cold starts is when the starter will make the noise, briefly, after start up. 

• Like 1

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

On 1/6/2023 at 9:55 AM, Max Capacity said:

Found this site years ago, it may be some help.

https://www.maniacelectricmotors.com/17170.html

Oh that's cool.  I've rebuilt starters before - fairly easy if you have the parts.  That listing shows '90 - '04 so I'll poke around a bit on there and see if they have newer listings.  Thanks!

Pretty sure this is it, if it maybe helps anyone following along. I think Ima pick one up for my OB, since the starter has been a bit lazy for a while now, and I suspect it's just age....

https://www.maniacelectricmotors.com/55909014.html

Good site, but be wary when searching.

A part they have listed for a LEAGACY also fits a Legacy. That said they came right back to me with an answer when I asked. The pricing on the website is slightly cheaper than their Ebays sales as well, which is perhaps worth knowing.