LegacyGT.com

"sport-tuned suspension" not just marketing fluff?

When Subaru announced the 2023 Legacy in May, they paid special attention to the introduction of an upgraded Sport trim, promising "sport-tuned suspension." The new model is hitting lots now - in limited quantities - and it now has a listing in the online parts catalog. I'm curious if it's worth driving, or if it's just a Limited XT with polyvinyl seats, throttle setting controller, and a red stripe.

So, I did a completely arbitrary and unscientific dive into the drawings and BOM. I am no configuration management expert, but there appears to be suspension changes that are unique to the 2023 Sport model, at least from a part number perspective. Again, lots of things can change part numbers, including supplier changes or the substitution of parts with slightly different but acceptable parameters for the design (the supply chain is a wreck right now).

I'm assuming that Subaru is making no major changes to its suspension architecture for one trim of one of its least popular models. I chose to look at coils, shocks, and sway bars, because that's low hanging fruit for most amateur suspension changes. I did not look at bushings, because I am easily bored.

Both the new Legacy Sport and Touring XT are using the same coil part number as my 2021 Touring XT (20380AN00A). Both new cars have a new rear sway bar number (20451AN00C) that differs from my car (20451AN00A). While the drawing points to the sway bar (drawing number 20451), the part entry is labelled "stabilizer bushing." It's possible the bushing number changed due to supply constraints or whatevs. The front sway bar number remains unchanged.

(What is the point of this post, Fuzz-) SHOCKS. Shocks are where a lot of change shows up. (They kinda look like struts to me...) Subaru called them "shock absorbers," Imaginary Straw Man, so that's what I'm calling them. The rear shock absorber for both my 2021 and the 2023 Touring XT (drawing number 20365) is listed as 20365AN00A. The 2023 Sport model has this listing as well as another part number - 20365AN03A. Both left and right front shocks have a similar dual listing, sharing the 20310AN00A and 20310AN01A part numbers with the 2021 and 2023 Legacies (Legacys?) as well as additional 20310AN06A and 20310AN07A numbers.

(Did you check the 2022 numbers to see if these where introduced last model year during the pandemic?)   😲

Here's the link to the Subaru online parts catalog. Have fun; be safe; etc...

Dammit, that was going to bother me, so I checked. It appears that both the 2022 Sport and Touring XT used the same strut numbers as my 2021. The theory lives on...

(Wait, what if these are just cheaper, crappy struts from a base model that they put on to "stiffen up the ride?")   😲...🤬

Huh, looks like even the lowliest 2.5 base crate gets the same shocks as my '21 Touring. 🤷‍♂️

Please, someone prove me wrong here. I want to believe that I can spend $700 on OEM parts and get my car to stop wafting side-to-side like a 18th Century fishing vessel.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 6 months later...

I knew what I was buying (a family sedan with an upgraded engine and a CVT), so my expectations weren't great to begin with as far as handling, cornering etc. If I wanted these things, I would have gone for an S5 (want, but cannot justify the expense) or at least a Genesis/Q50/Stinger, Nevertheless, would like to upgrade the sway, add a strut bar, and have better brake/shock options but I realize that this isn't the car to mod - need a true sports sedan for that. 

On 4/29/2023 at 4:36 PM, blusubado said:

ya the touring trim has auto folding mirrors, ac front seats and heated back seats 

Don't forget about the front camera and the fancier leather seats!

• Like 1

our car still has the potential for some sportiness. the main part to me is weight control since it weighs a little under 2 tons. so an antigravity battery to pull weight from the front and a stiffer rear sway bar is a good start 

1 hour ago, laufu said:

Don't forget about the front camera and the fancier leather seats!

Front camera is terrible resolution wise, and I had to add aftermarket ultrasonic sensors because for whatever reason Subaru did not deem it neceesary. The leather seats are great though.

22 hours ago, dohturdima said:

Front camera is terrible resolution wise, and I had to add aftermarket ultrasonic sensors because for whatever reason Subaru did not deem it neceesary. The leather seats are great though.

I agree, the front and may I add the back camera's resolution does leave something to be desired.  My wife's Ascent has a nicer camera for the backup, but the front is about the same.  Also on the Ascent, Subaru actually incorporated some thought into the implementation of the front camera.  In the Ascent, when you shift from reverse to drive, the Ascent activates the front camera so you can see what is directly in front of you as you proceed.  Also the front camera button is in a bad location.