LegacyGT.com

lost, 3rd, 4th & 5th again

While driving going from 2nd to 3rd gear, wasn't under full power, when I let the clutch out in 3rd, a felt a pop and 3rd gear was gone. No 4th or 5th. 1st and 2nd work fine. Finished the 20 mile drive home on the back roads, so speed wasn't an issue anyway's. Most speed limits were 30 to 40mph.

I did notice the Err   I.U in the trip meter. No idea what that meant ?  I shut off the engine while coasting, on the restart, the code was gone.

At 305,700 miles, not sure if it's worth putting more into the chassis. I do have a spear 5mt in the shed that has the grind going into 4th. There is rust in the pinch weld area behind the right front tire, so the chassis is getting weak in that area. 

I think I'm done with the car...

The Spec B drives well, just not as powerful. I've said since retiring, 2 years ago, a smart man would sell both my cars, lease her something and I would take 2018 3.6R Outback for my car. It would be a great car for going to VT skiing every week. Outback is 5 years old, has 29,200 miles.

• Sad 1

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

It's been so long, I think its 80-100,000 miles. At 68y/o I'm not sure I want to get my tranny jack out of the basement and replace the tranny. Only to worry about what is the next thing to go wrong.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

15 hours ago, Max Capacity said:

It's been so long, I think its 80-100,000 miles. At 68y/o I'm not sure I want to get my tranny jack out of the basement and replace the tranny. Only to worry about what is the next thing to go wrong.

Oh I here that, I thought it was the OG trans on the car. I have 143K on my OG trans it is running great so far. I still am waiting  for it to die in a few years so I can go STI 6MT. I also want STI Brembo's on the car. I am tired of working on my own stuff unless I have to.

Nowhere near the OG tranny. Honestly, the tranny has been a nightmare in this car. I'd say it's been out 18+ times. I had to pull it twice once because the TOB fork fell off the pivot ball...

2 hours ago, Max Capacity said:

Nowhere near the OG tranny. Honestly, the tranny has been a nightmare in this car. I'd say it's been out 18+ times. I had to pull it twice once because the TOB fork fell off the pivot ball...

Geez really, you didn't want to just go 6MT and be done?

Hindsight being 20/20, back in 2008, I should have done that. But I kept asking myself...how long do I plan to keep this car...I think I've posted that before.

Trying to figure out the next move with the car, call a junkyard and see what they'll give me ?... I'm done putting money into it. There are some new parts since I retired Aug 2020. 

July 24th 2020 car had 294,000 miles, it now has 305,600 miles. 

Aug 16 2020 I installed the OEM starter I greased years ago.

May 24 2021, had rear suspension arms, bushing replaced.

Dec 7 2021 and Feb 3 2022, installed Evap hoses at fuel tank.

July 13 2022 four new NGK coils.

Aug 13 2022 new oil pan.

• Like 1

I'm sure with a working transmission someone would give you the cost of the the repair plus a few thousand. It may not be the car for you in your dotage, but don't let it go to the crusher! Save the manuals! Save the wagons! 

If all else fails, boxkitta will give you $1,000 for it sight unseen or infamous will give you $500. I'll give you $1,001.

Edited by seanyb505
  • Haha 1

For someone who is good with body work, most of it is normal rust spots, the drivers side rear wheel well area in small spots, the passenger side around the gas door has some bondo which is bubbling down towards the rear door, the right rocker panel, there's not much metal left there behind the right front tire.

16 hours ago, seanyb505 said:

I'm sure with a working transmission someone would give you the cost of the the repair plus a few thousand. It may not be the car for you in your dotage, but don't let it go to the crusher! Save the manuals! Save the wagons! 

If all else fails, boxkitta will give you $1,000 for it sight unseen or infamous will give you $500. I'll give you $1,001.

Let me know if you're serious and have a way to trailer it home. I may reach out to Mike and boxkita to give them a heads up. But I think boxkita is across the country from me. 

Damn...  Sorry to hear about the troubles.

I didn't realize you were such an old fart. Figured you were about my age.  I guess if I keep my wagon for another 15 years and get as many miles out of it as you have and it's rusting and giving me trouble I'll probably look at it the same way.

I tell you what though - there's not nearly a day that goes by that I don't regret selling my old '75 Nova.  I sold it 'cause I was getting tired of it but it still had a lot of potential and I'd put a lot of work into it and made it a pretty nice car.  It still had a lot of life left in it and now you just don't see those cars anymore and I wish I still had it.  I figure if I sell my wagon I'll be feeling the same way about it in a couple years so it gives me the motivation to spend unreasonable amounts of money on a car that will never be worth what I put into it, just 'cause I like it.  Cars are a money pit anyway.  Unless you're playing the collector game and know what you're doing, you're just burning your money so the only reason to not buy a transportation appliance mini-van and drive in the right lane for the rest of your life is because you actually like cars and want something semi-unique and fun.

I dunno... everyone's gotta do what's right for them and at 54 I definitely don't ever want to change another transmission out in the street like I did in my 20s, and by the time I get to 68 I'll probably be feeling the same as you about an old car I've had a long time.  Best of luck with whatever you decide.

• 2 weeks later...

That sucks you're thinking of throwing in the towel, though I do understand.  But holy hell if you're really gonna sell it that cheap, I'd pick it up as the world's greatest parts car.  You're right in my old stomping grounds and not even that far of a tow to where I live now.