LegacyGT.com

Fuel filter replacement (12 LGT)

So for those that have done this, should I just replace the filter (looks to be p/n 42072AJ070) or should I add on some of the other little bits (maybe the spacer that goes on top of the fuel pump, the packing between the bracket and the fuel pump, and the holder bracket thingy for the fuel pump?  Their each like $5 so I am leaning towards getting them on the off chance the holder breaks when taking apart the assembly or the packing is stuck inside the old filter) I imagine I need to replace the gasket on top of the fuel filter assembly too...

Please do post what you find out about this job!

This has been on my mind to do too, but the filter being in this area is just such a poor design.  Having to futz with a plastic fuel pump holder that usually gets brittle from years of soaking in gasoline is not something that should have to be done for a PM job.

I didn't replace anything besides the filter assembly. $5 isn't very expensive and probably worth it. I heard on the GT filter assembly was backorder, but it may have been resolved by now. Make sure you get the correct assembly as I got the wrong one the 1st time. The GT have 3 fittings the other mode have 2. 

I broke off one of the plastic fittings on the assembly to get the filter out so you don't have to bend the body sheet metal to get the top metal ring off.  I notched the ring with an angle grinder so it can come out easily in the future. 

• Thanks 1

So here's what I am planning to get...  should be the right filter, then the gasket on top of the filter assembly, the one that seals to the tank, then a couple of little bits that hold the fuel pump in place.  This is feeling like a christmas shutdown sort of activity, so not for a few months.

fuel filter.JPG

On 10/18/2022 at 9:05 PM, motorbreath said:

I just did the filter housing and clip that holds the fuel pump in. Everything else seemed to be in good shape when I did this.

So the gaskets were ok? 

12 hours ago, DrD123 said:

So the gaskets were ok? 

I only inspected the gasket around the filter housing and the fuel pump outlet. The former seemed to be in good shape, but I used some o-ring lubricant on it, Super Lube, before reinstalling. The fuel pump ?gasket? was definitely not as elastic as I expected, but it definitely compressed back into the housing.

I did not use lubricant on it because the gasoline would likely dissolve it and might cause during issues.

12 hours ago, dgoodhue said:

My gaskets were OK but I did mine in 2017 when my car was 6 years old. (2011 build date)

So when I look at the parts diagrams for the 2012, they show 2 gaskets for the assembly - the one that the bolts go through (which is the same for all of the years of the LGT) then another one that goes on top of the filter assembly where the ring would press down on it - it's only shown for the 2012, but I don't know if it's really there or not, because there is a parts drawing for 2011-2012 which shows it not there, then one for 2012 only that shows it's there...  if I enter my vin in parts.subaru.com it doesn't get rid of that drawing, and there's no vin range on the figures...  my car also has a 2011 build date (9/11) so I'd think it would be more like the 2011...  it looks like they redesigned the lock ring for one that has the gasket from 2012 on and one that didn't for up to 2012...  I imagine maybe that's the build date?   This is the gasket I am wondering about:

Capture.JPG