LegacyGT.com

JDM/RHD Rack and Pinion Comparability

Hello, i have a 95 JDM GT, the rack and pinion tie rod seal popped on both sides, had the rack rebuilt. Did the same thing about a month later.

So Ive decided to replace the rack, pump (it started whining from running dry) and flush the entire system. Problem is I live in the US and parts for anything RHD here is damn near impossible to obtain. So im trying to find which rack and pinions will fit, except the oem one and is RHD duh. There is one on ebay for a 2000 with no ties rods but it looks the same. Any info on other compatibility from imprezas, Foresters, etc?

Thanks, Jacob

Include US mail delivery in your searches.  People may talk about a Subaru mail delivery unit rather than JDM or RHD.

I would try to get the seals direct from Subaru and rebuild the rack, there are a LOT of junk parts out there these days.  They are broke right out of the box, they fail after a few days, they don't fit right.  If they are not actual originals you are risking doing the work repeatedly.

Even pre Rona I got a reman rack rather than reseal mine.  Within a month it was spewing and I had to return it and do the job again.  Second time was the charm for me way back then.  Things are much worse now.  YMMV.

Within reason a correct rebuild can adjust out play, but I would go with locating an OE rack from some compatible model and figure on resealing it with OE before you put it in.

I'm more of a stock as stock person, so I don't know what parts will Lego in although Subaru is the Lego of cars so I expect there are some possibilities.