LegacyGT.com

Tail light moisture

My '08 wagon is getting some water/moisture in the left-side taillight, around the turn-signal bulb area. Gasket looks ok but I wonder if anyone has replaced any of the rubber rings around the bulb sockets themselves, and if so, where did you source it?

Failing that, as these cars age, where are people finding water entering? I had the light housing off looking for the leak but am not finding any cracks or anything obvious.

Any help appreciated. Thanks!

Take the light housing off the car. Take the bulbs out, leave the housing out in the sun to bake out the moisture.

Re-seal the seam all around the housing with clear RTV. Let it dry fully then re-install in car.

That worked for my right housing years ago.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Have noticed something similar begin to my housing. Super glad someone spoke up as I've now learned of this RTV trick.

Also experiencing this with my reverse lights. I went to the dealer months ago to see if I could find just the gaskets, but they were not available. The next-to-new one in the classifieds is looking really appetizing, since it's hard to come by new seals anywhere else. I'm about to the point where I'll start making my own. In the last week, I've opened the hatch a few times to find a little water run down the driver's side D-pillar upon full extension.

MILKRUN  - Click Here

Yeah, my left backup light has water in it every now and then. I would think the RTV trick should work for it.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here