LegacyGT.com

Piston marks and chip

where did you get the shortblock? is it a rebuild or new? I wouldn't worry about the dark markings if its just ink, marker or something like that, you try wiping it off with some alcohol, break cleaner etc. and a microfiber cloth?

I would just be worried that the gash would make it more prone to a head gasket leak.

I bought the shortblock from someone on the 5miles app a couple years back and have had it in storage since. It's supposed to be new. I recently took it out to start piecing together the engine and just noticed the nick it had at the border of the cylinder wall.

I was going to post the pic here for you, and I was having issues too. I think it's because your image is 3000x4000 pixels, and the max on this site is 1600x1200.

2.thumb.jpg.e5f2d0d8608c3da1f83ed8ecfb0e128f.jpg

3.thumb.jpg.333dc911bb1da2fc4fe5077e7bc3d401.jpg

that dent looks like it's inboard of the fire seal to me. file down the protruding bit very carefully, just make sure not to file into the still-flat portion of the deck. seat the head gasket and see where the fire seal is relative to the ding. the black spots, I'm with everyone else. if it's nothing you can feel with a finger nail, try wiping it with some penetrating fluid on a rag and run it.