LegacyGT.com

Radiator Question

Just did my timing belt today, MT LGT. While replacing the water pump it dawned on me, why not run an AT radiator on the MT cars, and run the oil cooler thru the Transmission Cooler portion of the radiator?

Anybody else have this thought? I tried searching here and NASIOC but haven't found anything. I'm guessing it might take away from engine cooling capacity, but it would seem like a super easy "oil-cooler" upgrade.

IMO, your oil may not get hot enough in the winter time to boil the water out of it. Your engine will condensate as it cools and drops moisture into the oil.

I have a Aluminum AOS on my oil fill tube, in winter it will have a milky foam in it.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I had the same thought about using the AT radiator to cool the oil, the oil cooler is like right there you can get a plate to run off 2 lines.

I don't think it would get that cool, just cooler. I think issue would be the oil pump and circulation, with the added volume.

Edited by Tehnation

added volume? the transmission cooler portion of the radiator is just a hardline run the length of the coolant end tank. it's ounces at most of additional capacity. If your car already has the oil cooler, doing this wont help. If it doesn't, there are far better options out there.