LegacyGT.com

New Parts-Tune-Driveability

Hi, I'm assembling some perf. parts (intercooler/uppipe/downpipe) for an altogether one day install, which will require a tune.

My question is, what are the perameters or even the ability to drive the car until I can get a tune. The objective on my end is to have the two scheduled as closely as possible. Will my car be undrivable? Do I need to keep it below certain rpm? How many miles can I drive it for? Don't want to cause any damage.

Your input and recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks.

A full list of parts would probably be ideal before we can say anything certain. But if those 3 you mentioned are the main parts replaced, you can probably drive it 5-10 miles to the shop and stay out of boost without much worry. It’s your AFRs under load that you need to be really mindful of since the car is going to overboost without the restriction of the stock exhaust parts but it can’t adjust the fuel for the increase in air.

Are you tuning with an access port? You can load the Stage 2 OTS tune and be safe for a while but I wouldn’t drive it around town every day without a proper tune.

Sounds like i'll be towing it to the tuners. No Cobb. I wont be adding anything, happy with those parts alone. Looking for mild upgrade and improved drivability. Thanks for your advice.

Sounds like i'll be towing it to the tuners. No Cobb. I wont be adding anything, happy with those parts alone. Looking for mild upgrade and improved drivability. Thanks for your advice.

I have an 05 LGT also man and you can use the Cobb V3 to get a tune from your tuner to get tit to them wit the parts you have that are installed. I still have my Cobb and my shop and tuner said do not get rid of it. I do have my custom TGV deletes and all the stuff people are scared about on my car. I going back in just for bigger turbo, Ewag setup, and new protune. DO NOT BE SCARED. Just do not cut corners, yes it might cost more but oh well.

If you did anything with your injectors then don't drive the car at all. Otherwise you can typically be safe keeping out of boost and short-shifting, trying to avoid lugging the engine. I'd generally just advise towing it if you're concerned. Only thing our ECUs can do is try to compensate with a little extra or a little less fueling when needed and even their ability to do that is pretty dumb compared to other cars from their time period. They'll only pull timing to prevent knock.

If all you did is put an intake on or put a larger turbo on then yes, you can drive there, but keep it under 3K RPMs and light on the throttle. Your fuel mapping will definitely not be sufficient. If you put aftermarket injectors in then you will absolutely drench your engine with fuel and you'll have a bad day.

Edit: just saw you did downpipe, intercooler, and uppipe. Unless you went FMIC, you should be able to drive it without issue. Yes, keep out of boost.

Edited by Pleides

If you did anything with your injectors then don't drive the car at all. Otherwise you can typically be safe keeping out of boost and short-shifting, trying to avoid lugging the engine. I'd generally just advise towing it if you're concerned. Only thing our ECUs can do is try to compensate with a little extra or a little less fueling when needed and even their ability to do that is pretty dumb compared to other cars from their time period. They'll only pull timing to prevent knock.

If all you did is put an intake on or put a larger turbo on then yes, you can drive there, but keep it under 3K RPMs and light on the throttle. Your fuel mapping will definitely not be sufficient. If you put aftermarket injectors in then you will absolutely drench your engine with fuel and you'll have a bad day.

How are they getting around the tgv issue.....Cobb issued me a refund for my flex fuel kit today

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

How are they getting around the tgv issue.....Cobb issued me a refund for my flex fuel kit today

I have factory TGVs in a box if anybody desperately needs topfeed TGVs.

I "got around" it last week at Surgeline tuning by scheduling a tune in before the software update got pushed by Cobb on May 1st. Open source tuning is the way to go from here on out. I have suspicions that will probably be harder for the EPA to defeat as anybody can go online and download/purchase all the necessary stuff to do it all themselves and it would be incredibly hard to regulate. It's easier to regulate the purchasing of parts that tampers with federal emissions equipment.

you have to have the stock TGV's custom done, with the butterfly removed, but keep all the other stuff there. I have had it on my car for years now with no problems. Also flex fuel was never something I wanted to do. My shop and tuner talked about it and they said it not really worth it. I have put the hurt on many WRX with flex kits with no problem.

you have to have the stock TGV's custom done, with the butterfly removed, but keep all the other stuff there. I have had it on my car for years now with no problems. Also flex fuel was never something I wanted to do. My shop and tuner talked about it and they said it not really worth it. I have put the hurt on many WRX with flex kits with no problem.
Ya they hate doing flex fuel tunes lol, if they have the skills get less resistant when you don't run when they tell it's nearly twice the cost for a tune. I'm unfortunately at about 3500 feet in town and like to Cruse the mountain roads in access of 5k feet