LegacyGT.com

Light Bulb

I have a 2016 Subaru Legacy limited 2.5i and at night it's hard to see if on back roads or really dark roads. I heard I can upgrade to LED, would I just change my bulbs, or would I have to change the whole headlight? Sorry, new to this and trying to see what are the best options. I searched the forums but got more confused because some are replacing bulbs and some aren't. I think i have halogens but not sure, how can i tell? Any advice would be highly appreciated, thank you! Edited by xelu01

I have a 2016 Subaru Legacy limited 2.5i and at night it's hard to see if on back roads or really dark roads. I heard I can upgrade to LED, would I just change my bulbs, or would I have to change the whole headlight? Sorry, new to this and trying to see what are the best options. I searched the forums but got more confused because some are replacing bulbs and some aren't. I think i have halogens but not sure, how can i tell? Any advice would be highly appreciated, thank you!

This is what I got for my 2018 Limited which came with Halogens:

https://www.diodedynamics.com/h11-sl1-led-bulbs-pair.html

They made huge difference. Prior to that, I ran H9s which I modified to fit the wiring connector. I also upgraded the high beams to LED, but it really didn't make a difference. You just swap these in for the bulbs that at there now.

According to the 2016 Legacy Brochure, the 2.5i Limited did not have any special headlights -- only the 3.6R:

https://www.subaru.com/content/dam/subaru/downloads/pdf/brochures/2016/Legacy/2016_Subaru_Legacy_v2.pdf

If you're having poor light output, it could be that the bulbs are not installed correctly. i am blown away by how many i've found that just weren't installed right. it's really not that difficult to align the tabs...

This is what I got for my 2018 Limited which came with Halogens:

https://www.diodedynamics.com/h11-sl1-led-bulbs-pair.html

They made huge difference. Prior to that, I ran H9s which I modified to fit the wiring connector. I also upgraded the high beams to LED, but it really didn't make a difference. You just swap these in for the bulbs that at there now.

According to the 2016 Legacy Brochure, the 2.5i Limited did not have any special headlights -- only the 3.6R:

https://www.subaru.com/content/dam/subaru/downloads/pdf/brochures/2016/Legacy/2016_Subaru_Legacy_v2.pdf

Thank you very much for the response, what’s the difference between these leds and the ones on amazon? The price difference seems huge and just want to understand if you may explain. It seems like i have the halogen and not HID.

If you're having poor light output, it could be that the bulbs are not installed correctly. i am blown away by how many i've found that just weren't installed right. it's really not that difficult to align the tabs...

Thanks for the suggestion, i just checked and they are aligned well.

Thank you very much for the response, what’s the difference between these leds and the ones on amazon? The price difference seems huge and just want to understand if you may explain. It seems like i have the halogen and not HID.

I went with these based on recommendations on this site as well as others. DD has a really good reputation for performance, reliability, and engineering. Could you do as well with a lower cost option from Amazon? Possibly, but I don't like to take risks with safety equipment, so I went with DD to limit the risk of switching to a non-OEM part.

I also have the Diode Dynamics SL1. Highly recommend. In the realm of LEDs you get what you pay for. I tried cheapo’s from Amazon and they did not work well at all. Tons of review videos on YouTube if you’re really interested in looking it up.

Also recommend the SS3 fog light kid from Diode Dynamics. You can definitely tell the difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My 3.6 had the Hids. But for my daughter’s Impreza with base halogens I stuck some beamtech leds in and they work great. Until she hit a snow storm and the ice wasn’t melting. Switching her to morimoto2stroke leds before winter to solve that issue.