LegacyGT.com

Raw gas smell when fan kicks on and engine off.

I’ve got a strange problem. When my car is cold if I turn the ignition to the point where the interior blower turns on I get a strong smell of raw gas in the cabin. It’s a short experience with the strong odor but it’s there. Keep in mind the engine is off. So it’s not an exhaust smell.

No codes or anything yet.

Where to start is my question? I have sniffed my way around the engine bay and looked for drips but I haven’t found the source.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve got a strange problem. When my car is cold if I turn the ignition to the point where the interior blower turns on I get a strong smell of raw gas in the cabin. It’s a short experience with the strong odor but it’s there. Keep in mind the engine is off. So it’s not an exhaust smell.

No codes or anything yet.

Where to start is my question? I have sniffed my way around the engine bay and looked for drips but I haven’t found the source.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have read gas smell associated with cold weather , not the car being cold but same affect on the hoses gets warm in our bays quick.

You could have a leak in the evap system and it's bleeding off pressure , or a fuel line leaking a bit when the pump primes

Have heard lines under the manifold causing this

All guess

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Look for a moisture stain on the fuel lines under the intake manifold. Some of the early 2005's had this issue in cold weather.

Here's how I fixed mine years ago.

DSCN4678.thumb.JPG.575ed85ad71c8b697b032b7e6c1d67ba.JPG

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I have a leaking fuel rail line, but only when it's below freezing, it only leaks enough to get the hose and clamp wet, but the smell inside the cabin makes it seem way way worse.

Yep, that's pretty much the same thing with the 4th Gen's.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here