LegacyGT.com

AEM Wideband - passing wires through firewall

All my wiring is going above and through the driver wheel arch liner going towards the interior fuse box. You can route everything across to the battery / fuse box areas where you'll see a small opening. You'll be able to access the wiring if you pull down the liner slightly which will expose the grommet. You'll need to enlarge the grommet slightly to pass all the cabling. All of my sensors (wideband, oil pressure, oil temp and boost) take this pathway from the engine bay to the cubby.

All my wiring is going above and through the driver wheel arch liner going towards the interior fuse box. You can route everything across to the battery / fuse box areas where you'll see a small opening. You'll be able to access the wiring if you pull down the liner slightly which will expose the grommet. You'll need to enlarge the grommet slightly to pass all the cabling. All of my sensors (wideband, oil pressure, oil temp and boost) take this pathway from the engine bay to the cubby.

Did you tap into the radio power wires for your gauge power or something like the cigarette lighter?

Edited by Mr. Electric Wizard

Another option: I ran mine through the grommet with the ECM wiring in the passenger side foot well. It's shorter but you need to make sure your wiring won't touch the turbo or downpipe. I wrapped my wiring in split loom tubing and wrapped that in foil tape as an extra precaution.

Did you tap into the radio power wires for your gauge power or something like the cigarette lighter?

The power for the sensor comes from a switched 12v fuse which I tapped using an Add-a-fuse kit. I didn't want to cut any of my wiring. I forget exactly which fuse I used but you could easily use a volt meter to verify. If adding multiple sensors, it's best to use the same source.

Your wide band is it own sensor, placed in a exhaust bung is it not? Typically used for tuning on a dyno and or monitoring. The good thing with a wide band is seeing live time events go through the gauge between a digital readout and the sweeping color dial and also not pegging at 11.14 like the factory O2/AP combo.

I don't see how that would integrate into the vehicle harness and tie into the AP, unless I am thinking of something different.....

Info....how are you logging/tuning?

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Depends what you mean by "integrated into the harness".

I'm logging a wideband through a reclaimed TGV plug, but you would need to delete your TGVs to do that.

It can be integrated into the ECU by utilizing any available 0-5v input (TGV or MAF) and a custom field in the AP.

"Striving to better, oft we mar what's well." - Bill Shakespeare - car modder

Your wide band is it own sensor, placed in a exhaust bung is it not? Typically used for tuning on a dyno and or monitoring. The good thing with a wide band is seeing live time events go through the gauge between a digital readout and the sweeping color dial and also not pegging at 11.14 like the factory O2/AP combo.

I don't see how that would integrate into the vehicle harness and tie into the AP, unless I am thinking of something different.....

As Code mentioned, you can reclaim an input that's looking for a 0-5v signal.

I'm logging via a custom field in BtSSM and I'm open source tuned.

The ECU itself doesn't use it, but you can monitor with custom fields.

Edited by Infosecdad

My tuner said that just a phone video of the gauge itself while logging with a specific set of gauges on the AP would be good enough. The reason I was asking about integration into the harness was based on some comments I’ve seen online, but those were for later year model cars.

• 3 weeks later...
Another option: I ran mine through the grommet with the ECM wiring in the passenger side foot well. It's shorter but you need to make sure your wiring won't touch the turbo or downpipe. I wrapped my wiring in split loom tubing and wrapped that in foil tape as an extra precaution.

Through here, with all the ECU wiring?

bd3ac890b835a689b789669cf29a1456.jpg

Through here, with all the ECU wiring?

bd3ac890b835a689b789669cf29a1456.jpg

Nope, lower and further inboard. You pretty much have to be under the car to see it. Maybe my memory is foggy on what exactly ran through there originally but if you remove the ecu tray under the carpeting, it's right there.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the info about the passenger side foot well.

I ended up going through that same grommet but since mine is a Limited, and this grommet is where the drain line goes.

I was able to pull the wires through there by just removing the drain line, passing the connector through, then putting the drain line back through.

Worked awesome.

Quick question, as I've never had one of these gauges.

I finally got my gauge installed and my car fired up (no tune yet but coming soon).

The gauge reads 14.6 at idle but when I step on the gas (in neutral) it quickly goes up then shows --- (three dashes).

Does this mean that it is going off the charts lean?