LegacyGT.com

Exhaust for 2005 LGT Wagon, picking components or modifying a sedan one

Hi all.

I have 2005 Legacy GT Wagon with Cobb Downpipe. My stock exhaust has a leak and am considering using this as an opportunity to get new exhaust.

Goals are quiet sound with just that hint of boxer rumble.

Any suggestions for picking individual components and then having a shop customize piping. Or getting a system for a Legacy GT Sedan and using extended tips to get the exit past the bumper?

In searching old threads, I have seen suggestions for buying cans, vibrant resonator, and then needing custom Y pipe.

Any help/suggestions are appreciated.

Ran my GT wagon for a lot of years when it was a combo daily driver / track car with a resonated Perrin midpipe / Y to stock muffs. Pretty tame with just a sight bit of boxer rumble. Assume running a similar aftermarket mid/y to stock muffs would give you the same.

I was going to echo a similar thought. If you want quiet sound (for whatever definition that is), then a downpipe and bigger mid-pipe (resonator or not) will likely increase the sound just a little with the stock mufflers. It's a decent jump with most any aftermarket axleback/muffler.

https://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/2005/subaru/legacy/exhaust/muffler.html

There's a stock midpipe. Scroll down a bit, you'll find the midpipe for a GT.

My wagon has the stock midpipe from my Spec B with custom fit Magnaflow knock off mufflers from a local exhaust shop. I bought my own Dyna Max tips.

The car is quiet on the highway and has a nice rumble at idle.

Edited by Max Capacity

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

This is Shoguns setup I’m planning on doing something similar. STI mid pipe needs to have hangers relocated as well as mufflers but should be pretty tame. Mines a daily with kiddos. Picked up oem STi mufflers with < 8k on them off a 2018 for $160 shipped on Evilbay.

The stock midpipe muffles a lot of noise. If quiet is your goal then I'd do that and choose a muffler based on how you like the way it colors the sound.

I'm partial to Borla's CARB-friendly resonators as well. The one on my wagon from the Borla catback (sedan-fitment, it fits on a wagon but the tips are recessed) really muffles drone on a car with a stock downpipe. On an aftermarket downpipe it does need a little help to quiet down if you have that as well as a Group N trans mount like I do (the mount causes a good amount of exhaust noise to enter the cabin - too much for my liking above about 70 MPH).