LegacyGT.com

Whiteline solid rear sway bar limited run

I bought the 24mm adjustable rear sway bar from the 15-19 Legacy, I’m having it installed on the 12th or March, I’ll take pics and let you guys know if it fits or not. Don’t worry, I have a 15 Legacy also that my son drives, so if it doesn’t fit on my 20, I didn’t waste my money, lol. Oh and I also bought the Whiteline endlinks, so I’ll let you know how those go as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

has anyone physically verified whether or not the outback swaybar will fit? I spoke to whiteline today and the dude said he didn't know and wanted me to go out and measure and take picks

UPDATE

They emailed back and said they don't have anything for our legacy....I told them I wasn't mad....I was just disappointed

Edited by blusubado

• 3 weeks later...
so to add to this thread, i was at the Subaru Dealership in my part of town the other day, and had the parts department do a part number search, and when they typed in either part number for the outback or legacy sway bars, (yes different part numbers) they still came up in the system as "legacy/outback sway bar" so i may go ahead and order one and see what happens once they get more in. it's listed on Whitelines website as a pre-order right now.

The whiteline anti sway bar kit F&R and AVO rear stiffener mount was bar none one of the best mods I've ever placed on this chassis. Transforms the car!

what year vehicle did you put them on? and do you have the part number for those?

2006. Was several years back. Not 100% sure. It was a full kit they offered for the Legacy GT that could be used for the OBXT. I just didn't use their end links and kept using the moog.

• 3 months later...
On 2/15/2022 at 7:41 AM, Stuff said:

The Outback has a different sway bar than the Legacy. I don't think that it will fit.

On 2/15/2022 at 3:20 PM, fuzzysoul said:

How much difference are we talking here?

On 2/15/2022 at 11:00 PM, Stuff said:

Not sure how different but what it connects to has different part numbers as well. Different bushings so I wonder if it has a different thickness.

Had an excess of spare time today, so I backed my '21 Legacy and my wife's '20 Outback onto the ramps and did some measuring. TLDR: I'd bet money these are the exact same part.

Caveats: You are getting this information from a stranger on the Internet. The tools used here include a 15-year-old, Imperial-only Lowes tape measure and a cheap, metric-only digital caliper from Amazon. Your mileage WILL vary, and you should do your own due diligence.

Diameter-wise, both sway bars are 19mm. The outer width of both bushings at the widest point is 43mm (remember, the aftermarket bar would be thicker and have different inner diameter in the bushing to fit). The width of tongues (tongues? tongues!) on the bars is 6mm on both.

Those are the "precise" measurements. Now for some wild Imperial eyeballing with a rusty carpenter's tape:

The distance between tongues is 38.25" on both. The length from outside bend to outside semicircular bend (just making up terms here) is 41.5". The "depth" of the tongue from endpoint to the semicircular bend is 5.5" on both.

I'm convinced these parts are - dimension-wise - identical. There is a piece of what looks like red tape on the passenger side of my Legacy's bar near the semicircular bend. This could be an inventory thing, or it could indicate that the bar has different metallurgical properties. 🤷‍♂️

So, if the Whiteline bar would be a drop-in replacement for a Legacy bar, why haven't they just checked the Seventh Gen Legacy box on their database and tacked on a few sales? I'm guessing that it's a safety testing issue or that the addition of a stiffer bar on the Legacy's lowered suspension geometry has some unpleasant side effects on the ride.

Subaru has promised a "sport-tuned suspension" on the '23 Legacy Sport. Might mean we are getting some new goodies in the OEM parts catalog soon...

Edited by fuzzysoul
  • Thanks 4

13 hours ago, fuzzysoul said:

Had an excess of spare time today, so I backed my '21 Legacy and my wife's '20 Outback onto the ramps and did some measuring. TLDR: I'd bet money these are the exact same part.

Caveats: You are getting this information from a stranger on the Internet. The tools used here include a 15-year-old, Imperial-only Lowes tape measure and a cheap, metric-only digital caliper from Amazon. Your mileage WILL vary, and you should do your own due diligence.

Diameter-wise, both sway bars are 19mm. The outer width of both bushings at the widest point is 43mm (remember, the aftermarket bar would be thicker and have different inner diameter in the bushing to fit). The width of tongues (tongues? tongues!) on the bars is 6mm on both.

Those are the "precise" measurements. Now for some wild Imperial eyeballing with a rusty carpenter's tape:

The distance between tongues is 38.25" on both. The length from outside bend to outside semicircular bend (just making up terms here) is 41.5". The "depth" of the tongue from endpoint to the semicircular bend is 5.5" on both.

I'm convinced these parts are - dimension-wise - identical. There is a piece of what looks like red tape on the passenger side of my Legacy's bar near the semicircular bend. This could be an inventory thing, or it could indicate that the bar has different metallurgical properties. 🤷‍♂️

So, if the Whiteline bar would be a drop-in replacement for a Legacy bar, why haven't they just checked the Seventh Gen Legacy box on their database and tacked on a few sales? I'm guessing that it's a safety testing issue or that the addition of a stiffer bar on the Legacy's lowered suspension geometry has some unpleasant side effects on the ride.

Subaru has promised a "sport-tuned suspension" on the '23 Legacy Sport. Might mean we are getting some new goodies in the OEM parts catalog soon...

Good information fuzzysoul. Subaru said they went to a standard frame on these to cars. I have notice the part numbers are one or two number off each other. I would say the Outback is stiffer then the Legacy for the off road features of the outback.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Since the suspension geometry was mentioned, how different is it actually between Legacy and Outback? Outback has spacers between the subframe and the body, which of course means taller struts and more suspension travel, but  apart from that, is the geometry any different in terms, say, of the angles between the lateral arms and the subframe?

On 9/12/2022 at 12:54 AM, avk said:

Since the suspension geometry was mentioned, how different is it actually between Legacy and Outback?

Guess that's my next homework assignment. Eyeballing it? I'd say it's all springs and struts. The links and arms look identical. Had difficulty getting good pictures for comparison, since my phone wants to adjust for the ambient light, not the shaded components. The 7th gen Legacy also rides much like a 6th gen Outback, meaning it's hilariously fun on rough roads, but wobbles too much for my taste on pavement, without all that cushy springage to make it pleasant.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

More to the story. The front sway bar is the same between Outback and Legacy models through 2019 but starting with 2020 model year, the Legacy bar and bushings have different part numbers vs. Outback. Assuming the Legacy front bar is now thinner,  looks like the front bar should be the first one to upgrade.

• 1 year later...