LegacyGT.com

What would you like to see in an exhaust system?

WorxTuning

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

something nice but low profile (fully polished is fine). something that sounds sporty, but is quiet enough so I can still be fairly professional when using my car for work.

i'll just swing by and grab mine on the way to Portland. :D

Definately a classy dual tip would get my money. It has to be louder than stock (or else what's the point really) but deffinately not obnoxious or riceyand NO DRONE on the highway. I'd be happy with it if it was near stock noise with cats in place and deep and aggressive catless (which I am). 3" to dual 2.5 at least and a well designed Y. I'm thinking M3 type tips.

I personally like the luxury type ride the legacy has to offer. I'd like to have a performance exhaust system, but as quiet or as close to quiet as the stock exhaust. Any increase in sound, I'd prefer a deep tone like the Borla system. I'm sure to get a setup like that, you would have to setup a good resonator.

3 inches to the Y, and 2.5

Every other exhaust system out there is a lot louder than stock, why can't anyone make a quite high performance system? I know it's hard with 3 inch piping... you play... you pay.

Tips????? Hmmm.

Single round per muffler, dual tip, big or small diameter???

This is our new Impreza system- do you like this look. I think the muffler and tip style would look good on the Legacy but what do you think? The tip is angle cut.

http://www.worxtuning.com/newsite/cbex.jpg

Rolled tips please :icon_bigg

Do you like the look of a fully polished system or do you think that maybe an optional coating for a more stealth look would be a good idea also? I have been toying with that idea for a while.

Personally, I dont think the piping needs to be polished. Maybe just the mufflers and tip. Can up make the tip "thicker"? I think it looks better if the tip is thick, maybe with rolled tips. Just an idea.

But overall that one would probably look pretty damn good on the LGT.

P.S: Maybe a 3" Y-pipe :icon_bigg

i'm looking for a turbo back with a high flow cat + resonator + a muffler can and tip that fits nicely into the oem cutout.

It can be a single muffler system + single tip system to keep costs down, a option for hi temp paint would be nice too.

Would be nice if at cruising speeds there wouldn't be much if any increase in noise.

you are sure getting a lot of mixed reviews here WorxT.

You know, you could say that. BUT I would say that there does seem to be some fairly consistant responses.

What I am feeling from the feedback is that the majority of Legacy owners are looking for more performance, more class, and less rice. Where the Impreza guys want more flash and sound, the Legacy guys want more performance sedan than pocket rocket.

I am thinking full 3" stainless including the y and muffler sections. Our new muffler design but with a more classy rolled tip, and options for either a single or dual exit back section. Also we will probably make it available polished or coated for stealthy apearance.

I will say this- our new muffler design is straight through full perf 3". It is very heavily packed and does a stellar job at dampening sound. On a catted WRX is is quite quiet untill you really open up the throttle and even then is sedate with the sweetest boxer rumble. No drone what so ever at highway crusing speeds. When it is run on a catless DP, it does get a bit louder but we have been playing with some highly effective non-restrictive silencer designs. This has allowed us to eliminate the need for a resonator which drops the weight a bit and helps with clearance.

We also eliminate the reduction at the cat back/ mid pipe junction. There is no point in running a larger tube diameter if you are going to put a hugh bottleneck right in the middle.

The DP should be very similar to our Impreza unit.

Thoughts?

________

BBW ANAL

^^ that does sound like it has good potential. I'll just weigh in again with the quiet notion. I have another car with a full 3" exhaust and while it's not too obnoxious, it's not something that I want to drive around every day or have people ride in. If I were to get a "performance exhaust" for the lgt, it would need to be quiet, while being less restrictive than stock. And for what it's worth, I think you hit the nail on the head here: " majority of Legacy owners are looking for more performance, more class, and less rice."

-Scott

You know, you could say that. BUT I would say that there does seem to be some fairly consistant responses.

What I am feeling from the feedback is that the majority of Legacy owners are looking for more performance, more class, and less rice. Where the Impreza guys want more flash and sound, the Legacy guys want more performance sedan than pocket rocket.

I am thinking full 3" stainless including the y and muffler sections. Our new muffler design but with a more classy rolled tip, and options for either a single or dual exit back section. Also we will probably make it available polished or coated for stealthy apearance.

I will say this- our new muffler design is straight through full perf 3". It is very heavily packed and does a stellar job at dampening sound. On a catted WRX is is quite quiet untill you really open up the throttle and even then is sedate with the sweetest boxer rumble. No drone what so ever at highway crusing speeds. When it is run on a catless DP, it does get a bit louder but we have been playing with some highly effective non-restrictive silencer designs. This has allowed us to eliminate the need for a resonator which drops the weight a bit and helps with clearance.

We also eliminate the reduction at the cat back/ mid pipe junction. There is no point in running a larger tube diameter if you are going to put a hugh bottleneck right in the middle.

Thoughts?

If you can do something like a 4" pipe and taper it down to 3" and fill the straight-pass resonators with enough packing to hit just a 90 dB limit, I think you're golden.. it's obvious everyone wants performance, but to what extent is the real question.

I, for one, seen already enough exhaust parts out there that can fit the needs for people that want the quiet ride.. I haven't seen a full-out HIGH performance exhaust just yet (Cobb is probably the closest in my opinion). I havent seen a company here that runs a track pipe and a super loud exhuast (of course no body wants that really) so why not just opt for two types of exhuasts (one that is a 3" super loud muffler, and another that is the super quiet version which is another 3" tip design).

I would make a stock-cat replacement track pipe with an extended 02 bung.. I am sure the guys here that have everything such as the down pipe and a catback will benefit from just this.. (especially when we know that it's the bottlenecking problem of it all).

I'd say 3" all the way, single muffler or twin, doesnt matter.. a polished 3" tip with a really big oval black painted canister is classy, just very loud on the top end.

If class is what people want, a BIG downpipe with a 3" track all the way back and two HUGE mufflers with 3" twin tips will do the job. That should provide enough flow without the sound issue.

Keefe

Performance is the first priority in my opinion. Why else would we change the exhaust. Some may do it for looks but I would think very few.

The key is to find the perfect balance. I don't think it has been done and that is why we are looking for opinions.

If we put together a system with true performance and sound quality then we will have a bunch of Legacy owners with very big grins. It can be done I assure you. As for options, I am all about them, but it comes down to a numbers game then.

________

Fix Ps3

I guess the most cost effective setup for the system would be to have a swapable section (midpipe). That way the system would be multi use. One setup to take the family out in and allow a baby to quietly sleep in the back of the family sedan. Another setup for strictly performance, 110db and all.

You would sell the setup in two different versions, but allow the purchase of the alternate midpipe at an added cost.

I'm really pushing this "quite exhaust system" thing because no has a setup like this, this is a family sedan, and also I think of the Legacy as a refined Subaru. I don't have any kids, but I'm sure those that have kids and are performance minded would like to have a quiet car.

One setup to take the family out in and allow a baby to quietly sleep in the back of the family sedan. Another setup for strictly performance, 110db and all.

I'm really pushing this "quite exhaust system" thing because no has a setup like this, this is a family sedan, and also I think of the Legacy as a refined Subaru. I don't have any kids, but I'm sure those that have kids and are performance minded would like to have a quiet car.

I think a good target is under 92 dB is the quiet version and 115 being the "loud" version.

I would say offer not only the midpipe, but the a "muffler or dual straight pipe" rear section.

The Greddy Evo2 catback that I have now on the car is dead quiet.. it's way below the 95 dB mark.. it will get louder with a downpipe, but I can't imagine anything more than than 95 dB.. I got on the car with this exhaust on the track and I still couldnt hear it over the wind noise coming from just the two roll-down windows up front.. believe me, it's really quiet (just ricey looking).

Keefe

As a wagon owner, I would like an exhaust system that won't drone on the wagon. I guess it's due to the larger cabin of the wagon, but for whatever reason, even fairly quiet exhausts tend to sound boomy and drone on the wagon.

please hook us up!

as for the tips, i like a subtle appearance, no grapefruit launchers. A 3" single wall, polished, flaired tip would be perfect for me. But I also like anything that looks stock, like the oval prodrive mufflers.

Thoughts?

I completely agree with the way you're taking this...peformance with class, a perfect match for this car. I really feel either twin tips on each side or one ~3" rolled tip on each side is the way to go, no way 5" tips suit this car. I'm all for a deep but mellow sound most of teh time and then mean sounding when you're really booting on it.

Archived