LegacyGT.com

Perrin Steering Lock Damper

I'm looking at buying the Perrin Steering Lock Damper for 2005 Legacy Gt Wagon. Anyone know if this particular part fits? They say no in the ad but depending on whether it has the same steering damper. It looks exactly like the one I have but not sure if its same as all the 2005 Outbacks or other vehicles listed on the compatability list. Anyone order this for their Leggies?

https://www.perrin.com/shop/drivetrain/steering-dampener-lockdown

Current STI solid link fits too.

There are threads about it.

I may have added a post in JmP's sticky about "various parts" back around Aug 2020

See post 297.

Edited by Max Capacity

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Can anyone confirm they have first hand experience installing a 2015-19 STI steering u-joint into a 05-09 Leggy GT with success? I'd prefer solid connection over the Cusco lockdown. If not, would be second best thing to go to.

I've read where some have used it, but with a plus 2015 steering rack. Am more interested in knowing how it works with 05-09 stock Leggy GT rack.

Thanks.

I use the solid link as well, well worth the 30 bucks. I have an 05, works as described, does the same thing as that perrin dampener but better I assume, for like a fraction of the cost.

Where did you find this magical linkage for $30?

I use the solid link as well, well worth the 30 bucks. I have an 05, works as described, does the same thing as that perrin dampener but better I assume, for like a fraction of the cost.

Just to confirm, this was the 2015-2019 STI solid link?

I just installed a STi steering link last month. I bought mine in the classifieds on this forum, think I paid $40 for it. It's a direct swap with the LGT link. I did loosen the bolts for my rack for the swap so this Perrin piece would be easier to install and wouldn't need to realign the wheel.

I haven't driven my car much since the install but it does seem to transfer more vibration through the steering wheel compared to the OEM LGT joint. I already had a 15' STI steering rack installed and did a bunch of other front end work at the same time though. The car drives nice and tight, the best it's ever felt.

I just installed a STi steering link last month. I bought mine in the classifieds on this forum, think I paid $40 for it. It's a direct swap with the LGT link. I did loosen the bolts for my rack for the swap so this Perrin piece would be easier to install and wouldn't need to realign the wheel.

I haven't driven my car much since the install but it does seem to transfer more vibration through the steering wheel compared to the OEM LGT joint. I already had a 15' STI steering rack installed and did a bunch of other front end work at the same time though. The car drives nice and tight, the best it's ever felt.

Maybe I don't understand American :lol:.

You purchased the solid STI steering link (unsure what year as you don't say), but you didn't install it, however, you installed the lockdown dampener on your Legacy with the 2015+ steering rack and it fits and makes the steering feel terrific. Do i have that right?

In my last message, all I'm looking for is confirmation that someone has installed a 2015-2019 STI Solid Steering Link to a 2005-2009 OEM steering shaft and it was a direct fitment, no issues. Not sure if your response actually answers my question, but is good to know. Much appreciated.

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/underdog-motorsports-2015-sti-steering-rack-swap-234351.html

This is already common knowledge on the site, at least a dozen people have done it, and there is a thread somewhere with actual measurements, pictures, etc. Either way, I am confirming that it works, I bought one, and its on my car right now! Max Capacity has as well. A bunch of people have done it. Look at the pictures in 1st post in link, you will see the side by side comparison. Its plug and play, direct replacement! That is for the 08-14, don't know about 15+. If underdog made a complete write up about swapping out all that stuff then its safe to assume its a solid mod, he has done great work and write ups for these cars.

Actually u can use any 08+ sti linkage, after reading that post. Now that I remember something, I believe we compared 3 of them, original , 08-14 and 15+.... all the same shit! If you look hard enough you might find the thread.

Edited by Tehnation

Maybe I don't understand American :lol:.

You purchased the solid STI steering link (unsure what year as you don't say), but you didn't install it, however, you installed the lockdown dampener on your Legacy with the 2015+ steering rack and it fits and makes the steering feel terrific. Do i have that right?

In my last message, all I'm looking for is confirmation that someone has installed a 2015-2019 STI Solid Steering Link to a 2005-2009 OEM steering shaft and it was a direct fitment, no issues. Not sure if your response actually answers my question, but is good to know. Much appreciated.

No, I just installed the STI steering link. The steering feels better, it seems to slightly increase vibration through the steering wheel.

Follow the write-up that Underdog did, everything you need should be in that thread.

No, I just installed the STI steering link. The steering feels better, it seems to slightly increase vibration through the steering wheel.

Follow the write-up that Underdog did, everything you need should be in that thread.

Many Thanks for your help guys, much appreciated.

Like i said before, I'd prefer the solid link as I'm not sure over time if the rubber portion of the current dampener will eventually crush further causing a gap and thus movement in future rendering the mod less effective. With Canadian weather, summers in high 80's, winters below zero and salt on the roads, the rubber is bound to deform.

Thanks again.