LegacyGT.com

AWD to RWD and back to AWD

I already posted something similar to this but I don’t know where to start especially on the budget that I’m under and my parents wouldn’t want this in my car. 05 Legacy GT Limited is my current car and like the title says I want to be able to do AWD, RWD and back to AWD but I’m on a budget and I would certainly be stopped or I would certainly be prevented from doing this. I think I read something about transfer clutches on a different site.

Kid, if you're under your parents roof then give up on this project "on the cheap." It can't be done. Your best bet is swapping to a 6-speed manual from a WRX STI that has a DCCD. If that's not in your budget then it isn't gonna be done with this car. You're also not gonna be able to go 100% RWD with a Subaru unless you get a BRZ.

Have you tried looking into getting a clapped out old E36/E46 BMW or 350Z instead? That will drift with cheap tires and a some practice.

Edited by Pleides

Kid, if you're under your parents roof then give up on this project "on the cheap." It can't be done. Your best bet is swapping to a 6-speed manual from a WRX STI that has a DCCD. If that's not in your budget then it isn't gonna be done with this car. You're also not gonna be able to go 100% RWD with a Subaru unless you get a BRZ.

Have you tried looking into getting a clapped out old E36/E46 BMW or 350Z instead? That will drift with cheap tires and a some practice.

Everything you said in one post was literally covered in the op’s original post (and almost item for item) that I posted a link to (and yes I posted it intentionally knowing it was his post lol). I still think this is a reoccurring troll thread. Post the same question a year later expecting different answers.

"Torquemada Lite" if applicable to your transmission, and both sides of the CV stub ends, one for your wheel bearing to ride on, and the other depending upon if your transmission stubs are innie's or outie's. It takes about an hour to swap around and even faster once you do it a few times, but it's really the only way to do what you want.

You don't have to do the handbrake mod if you don't want to, but I've done this to my 2001 2.5RS. First link is the very first drive with the car rwd and pre-turbo, my buddy's shop was right on the corner, and the second video is post turbo and was after I broke a front axle and had to be rwd while i waited for the new axles, upgraded to HD's at this point, literally sheared it off. The car just wants to go sideways, so I won't run it.

I you want a AWD drive car that you can just pull a fuse and go 100% RWD just go get a Infiniti G37x. You can do what you want and its easy to switch back and forth. No mods needed except pulling a simple fuse to go back to AWD.

And yes you have your choice Coupe or Sedan. But sadly the "X" model only comes in a seven speed auto.

@Sliverton,

Yes it is really neat. The hack to show how to do this is all over YouTube. The G has a pretty crappy AWD system anyway. The Attesa system is nothing compared to what you you find in a GTR. The system is 100 percent to the rear in normal driving and will split the traction 50/50 if it detects slippage. However having one of these cars I can say the car gets loos really quick since the system does not grip like a Quattro or a Subaru. In fact I prefer my 2006 2.5 over my 3.0 or 3.6 in the snow because of the manual trans. My S4(well wife’s) has the eleusive 6 speed as well and that car to me is just a hair better in the snow then the Subaru but just by a hair if that.