LegacyGT.com

Decided to keep my 2015 Legacy 3.6 - questions on upgrades

Hey all, I have a 2015 Legacy 3.6r that I was using as my daily driver while commuting 140 miles per day prior to the pandemic. It currently has 105k miles on it. I now work from home and no longer commute so the car gets very little use, and although I was going to sell it and get a new one or something else, I have decided to keep it. The car has been maintained really well, I know what I have, and it's paid off, so no good reason to get rid of it.

Now I want to start changing all the lights out to LED's, but I have heard that there could be some issues with interference if I do this, is that true? Should I just leave it as stock? Also wondering if it is worth it to update the firmware and nav software? Any other easy mods to do that are recommended? I am older an not looking to supe it up but I am thinking about upgrading the suspension for a better ride. What else? Maybe some nice interior footwell lighting....

I also need to change the CVT oil, even though the dealer still suggests that I do not do it.

the car gets very little use, and although I was going to sell it and get a new one or something else, I have decided to keep it. The car has been maintained really well, I know what I have, and it's paid off, so no good reason to get rid of it.

Should I just leave it as stock? I am older an not looking to supe it up but I am thinking about upgrading the suspension for a better ride.

I also need to change the CVT oil, even though the dealer still suggests that I do not do it.

Hi TEH, I kinda felt I was looking in the mirror when I read your post :) because so much of it applied to me . I am very happy with my stock 2016 3.6R, but I find myself at times "lusting" after a new BRZ ( I think they look great) ... but then I repeat the exact same words that you used in your post " The car has been maintained really well, I know what I have, and it's paid off, so no good reason to get rid of it." I am also "older," so mine is, and will remain, stock, but I have always have just one reservation about the car, and that is a small complaint about the ride qualities, and that is due mainly to my thoughts that the seats are not overly comfortable. I have remedied that to some extent by adding a good quality lambswool seat cover, and by also lining it with extra memory foam on the base, which has helped a lot. My next move will be to change the noisy OEM Dunlop Sport tyres for Michelin Primacy 4's and that will be it.

I also agree 100% with your thoughts on changing the CVT fluid, and I have endured the same "discouragement mantra" from the dealer (with the exception of one particular "younger" service writer who has encouraged me to do it at between approx 60-100,000 miles)

My Legacy came with HIDs so I never bothered to do anything with them. For the inside little lights, I just switched to LEDs with no issues. If you don't have the HIDs and have halogens, I'd recommend Morimoto2stroke 3.0 headlight replacements. I got those for my daughter's Impreza. Solved the issue of cheap LEDs not putting heat out to melt ice/snow.

I can't remember where I got firmware and nav updates from but it was free and self done. I got rid of my Legacy in '18 at under 80k miles so I haven't really kept up.

Hey all, I have a 2015 Legacy 3.6r that I was using as my daily driver while commuting 140 miles per day prior to the pandemic. It currently has 105k miles on it. I now work from home and no longer commute so the car gets very little use, and although I was going to sell it and get a new one or something else, I have decided to keep it. The car has been maintained really well, I know what I have, and it's paid off, so no good reason to get rid of it.

Now I want to start changing all the lights out to LED's, but I have heard that there could be some issues with interference if I do this, is that true? Should I just leave it as stock? Also wondering if it is worth it to update the firmware and nav software? Any other easy mods to do that are recommended? I am older an not looking to supe it up but I am thinking about upgrading the suspension for a better ride. What else? Maybe some nice interior footwell lighting....

Good to hear.. You can upgrade the Rear Sway Bar, Change out the 6k HID to 5k HID, add Front n Rear Strut Bars..

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Tires are certainly an important component of "a better ride", regardless of how you define it.

I'm in much the same place (older and approaching 100K miles), except that I'm looking for better handling. However, I think there's an overlap in the desirable changes.

By replacing the front struts with Excel-G struts you may be able to have the reduced transients of the later sixth generation cars. I don't know if you would have to replace other suspension parts to do this.

Second Grnlantern1's suggestion to upgrade the rear sway bar and add strut bars. I've made these changes and each one made the car better.

I like my CKE sway bar bushings with zerk fittings added to keep them greased. These made about the same improvement as each of the other suspension changes.

After reading of Grnlantern1's experience with his radiator cap I've ordered a replacement for mine.

I haven't considered changing the CVT fluid, it seems like a good idea as I'd like to keep the car for another 100K miles. I'd like to hear others' thoughts.

I haven't considered changing the CVT fluid, it seems like a good idea as I'd like to keep the car for another 100K miles. I'd like to hear others' thoughts.

I'm sure you will be re-directed to previous threads where there has been numerous posts by the various "believers" and "non believers" on CVT fluid replacement. ;)

I happen to be "a believer," because like you, I intend keeping my car for well over another 100k miles, and to me it defies logic that changing CVT fluid would not help me achieve that aim.

Just briefly, let me say that I have searched pretty extensively on the subject, and I have yet to find a "qualified professional transmission expert" who believes that there is such a thing as "lifetime" tranny fluid.

It might well be "lifetime" for the period of the warranty, or even for some period passed the warranty ... but for those like you and me who intend keeping their vehicles for 200K-300K miles, to me it is a no brainer.

I think "lifetime fluid" is a marketing ploy by manufacturers which has a twofold aim ...

(1) It can allow them (via the dealers) to claim their vehicles have lower maintenance service costs, which is important to some prospective buyers.

(2) It stops owners from "messing" with the transmissions and perhaps making warranty claims if something goes wrong.

... Now I want to start changing all the lights out to LED's, but I have heard that there could be some issues with interference if I do this, is that true? ...

In some cases, definitely.

This subaruoutback.org forum topic has some good info including links to other topics I provided.

In post #2 of that topic ‘Walker’ gave a link to the April 2015 Subaru TechTips article that ‘lloyd123’ provided, & in post #40 ‘Rymar’ provided some oscilloscope images of two different LEDs he tested.

So far I haven’t seen any reports about issues with interior LEDs in the gen6 Legacy (or Liberty), the problems reported in those topics were with some model gen5 Outbacks & SJ Foresters where certain LEDs have been fitted to the rear hatch light.

If you're looking to spend money (in order of importance):

1. Cellular remote start from Drone. It's works flawlessly, runs for whatever length of time you want, AND tells you the interior temp of the car
  2. An 800+ CCA AGM battery will also help
  3. Triton LED turn signals for the front and rear
  4. Some decent LED plate lights, preferably from an OEM, not bulbs.
  5. Nicer tires will change your life

Hi TEH, I kinda felt I was looking in the mirror when I read your post :) because so much of it applied to me . I am very happy with my stock 2016 3.6R, but I find myself at times "lusting" after a new BRZ ( I think they look great) ... but then I repeat the exact same words that you used in your post " The car has been maintained really well, I know what I have, and it's paid off, so no good reason to get rid of it." I am also "older," so mine is, and will remain, stock, but I have always have just one reservation about the car, and that is a small complaint about the ride qualities, and that is due mainly to my thoughts that the seats are not overly comfortable. I have remedied that to some extent by adding a good quality lambswool seat cover, and by also lining it with extra memory foam on the base, which has helped a lot. My next move will be to change the noisy OEM Dunlop Sport tyres for Michelin Primacy 4's and that will be it.

I also agree 100% with your thoughts on changing the CVT fluid, and I have endured the same "discouragement mantra" from the dealer (with the exception of one particular "younger" service writer who has encouraged me to do it at between approx 60-100,000 miles)

Glad we are in the same boat. I find the seats really hard and uncomfortable, especially when I was commuting for so long in them. I may look into adding some additional padding. Overall the car is great, it rides a bit harsh, maybe a suspension upgrade would help, but really I am not sure its worth the expense. I don't understand why dealers are so against changing the CVT fluid, especially at the 100k+ mileage?

Good to hear.. You can upgrade the Rear Sway Bar, Change out the 6k HID to 5k HID, add Front n Rear Strut Bars..

Thanks for the suggestion - I will look into upgrading the rear sway bar and strut bars. Also, any suggestion on where to get the 5k HID lights?

I'm sure you will be re-directed to previous threads where there has been numerous posts by the various "believers" and "non believers" on CVT fluid replacement. ;)

I happen to be "a believer," because like you, I intend keeping my car for well over another 100k miles, and to me it defies logic that changing CVT fluid would not help me achieve that aim.

Just briefly, let me say that I have searched pretty extensively on the subject, and I have yet to find a "qualified professional transmission expert" who believes that there is such a thing as "lifetime" tranny fluid.

It might well be "lifetime" for the period of the warranty, or even for some period passed the warranty ... but for those like you and me who intend keeping their vehicles for 200K-300K miles, to me it is a no brainer.

I think "lifetime fluid" is a marketing ploy by manufacturers which has a twofold aim ...

(1) It can allow them (via the dealers) to claim their vehicles have lower maintenance service costs, which is important to some prospective buyers.

(2) It stops owners from "messing" with the transmissions and perhaps making warranty claims if something goes wrong.

Completely agree that not changing the fluid is not logical - I just can't wrap my head around it. Maybe we are just old school :)

I bought all of my LED's from Diodedynamics. Just select your vehicle and go from there. Just make sure to wait for a holiday to get 20% off.

RSB is < $100 for an OE thicker bar from a Crosstrek

CVT/Differential fluid: change all three. I was told by one dealer that they don't recommend it changing these fluids. I followed up with, "CAN you do it?" they said they don't actually have the ability to do it. A second dealer had no problem changing the CVT. I changed the front and rear diff fluids myself for cheap.

Brake fluid: often forgotten, but should be done every few years.

PCV Valve: Should have been changed by now

Firmware: We requested a free update to our Nav software and, because it had never been requested or updated before, we were given one gratis. RE: other firmware, I wouldn't do so unless you have a specific problem. I did so with our previous '08 Civic due to slipping/slow shifts and they improved at least 50%. It was $100 well spent to have everything updated.

'15 FB25

Magnatec 0W-20 + FU filter (70,517 miles)

RSB, Fr. Strut Bar, Tint, STI BBS, LED er'where

Thanks for the suggestion - I will look into upgrading the rear sway bar and strut bars. Also, any suggestion on where to get the 5k HID lights?
I actually shopped around on Ebay for them and bought a set of 4300k.. Pretty resonable I think 25.00 shipped..

• 3 weeks later...
I asked my dealer about replacing the CVT fluid as I'm now over 100k miles. The response was "Absolutely!" (which I was surprised to hear). When I asked about doing it 2-3 times to replace enough fluid I was told that they remove about 8 quarts when they do it and that they didn't think it was necessary to do it more than once. My compromise was to ask for a sample of the fluid removed. I will have it tested, and make a decision on another replacement from that. The replacement will be done next week but it will be a few weeks before I get the test results.

I asked my dealer about replacing the CVT fluid as I'm now over 100k miles. The response was "Absolutely!" (which I was surprised to hear). When I asked about doing it 2-3 times to replace enough fluid I was told that they remove about 8 quarts when they do it and that they didn't think it was necessary to do it more than once. My compromise was to ask for a sample of the fluid removed. I will have it tested, and make a decision on another replacement from that. The replacement will be done next week but it will be a few weeks before I get the test results.

What did the dealer charge you for this? It's so odd the disparity in service across dealers

My dealer lists CVT fluid change & front/rear diffs fluid change on their service menu.

My dealer lists the Diff fluid and I have done it once in 100k miles; not sure how often that has to be done but I may look into getting it done again.

Also, my dealer doesn't even list CVT fluid change and when asked they say "not necessary, its lifetime"

What did the dealer charge you for this? It's so odd the disparity in service across dealers
$281.31 plus tax. They removed and replaced 6.5qt. I've sent a sample for testing and I'll post the results when they are available.

• 2 weeks later...